XR 650L Commuter

Hi folks

I'm hoping some of you road warriors can help me out. I'm considering taking a job that would require me to commute 30 miles each way every day. I'd like to use the BRP and am wondering what mods I should make to make the trip more bearable. Alot of my riding would be in wet, cold, rainy weather. Any advice on windscreens, handwarmers, more lighting without getting into a HID setup. I have a kid and another one on the way so I don't have big money to spend.

No milk crate comments:crazy:

Bike is stock save for, 14tooth front sproket, and Dave's Mods.

Thanks

Hi folks

I'm hoping some of you road warriors can help me out. I'm considering taking a job that would require me to commute 30 miles each way every day. I'd like to use the BRP and am wondering what mods I should make to make the trip more bearable. Alot of my riding would be in wet, cold, rainy weather. Any advice on windscreens, handwarmers, more lighting without getting into a HID setup. I have a kid and another one on the way so I don't have big money to spend.

No milk crate comments:crazy:

Bike is stock save for, 14tooth front sproket, and Dave's Mods.

Thanks

I think that the 650L alternator makes a little over 200 watts, so you do have some juice to play with. Whatever you use add up the watts and be sure that it is under 200.

In the cold handwarmers are great and use 35 or so watts. There are the kind that are the whole grip, but they are expensive. For less you can get the kind that are tape which goes under the standard grips. There are also electrically heated vests and other clothing, they work wonders.

For lighting the cheap thing ($15) is to just put a brighter higher wattage bulb in there. Down here in the US it's illegal to put a greater than the standard 55/65W bulb. I have a 90/110 on my XR600, but I don't really ride on the road much. One possibility is a standard 55W low beam, but a 100W high. For more ($100+) you can get a dual bulb headlight.

I'm not big on commuting on my street bike when it's cold and wet. I just don't like the odds with the other drivers in those conditions. I take my truck to work on those days. You will not be saving money if you get hit by a car. Another thing to consider, if it goes below freezing you will be stuck. Snow is one thing, but bikes don't do so well on the ice.

I would gear it out for the road. The simple thing is to put the 15 tooth front sprocket back on there.

good idea about the brighter headlight bulb (i have a 80/100w in mind) other than the stuff cleonard already mentioned you might want to get a windshield, i have the slipstreamer one on mine and it does wonders for keeping you warmer and dryer besides taking some of the wind pressure off your body making it easier for the long hauls... once you have the mounts on there it takes like 10 seconds to put it on and off...

I commute on my L quite often, It's 20-25 miles one way for me to get to work. Some of it is Interstate, some of it is Urban. I don't have a windshield and I don't ride when it's going to be really rainy.

Get some good tires, that are more street oriented Knobbys wear quick on the pavement and suck in the wet. Maier makes a screen that's supposed to be pretty good, I'm thinking about getting one for my bike. The Roost Shields I added to my barkbusters help keep my hands from getting as cold as they would without.

Good gear is essential too.

you might want to get a windshield, i have the slipstreamer one on mine and it does wonders for keeping you warmer and dryer besides taking some of the wind pressure off your body making it easier for the long hauls... once you have the mounts on there it takes like 10 seconds to put it on and off

I like the idea of their windscreens with seperate mounts better then some of the other ones I've seen that mount to the plastic on the headlight shroud. Which model do you run on your bike?

Thanks to all who answered. I'll hook up my electric vest, put the elephant ears back on and bought some plastic gaurds for my bark busters and report back. I'm not sure if I'll gear it up as most of my running is at speeds below 50mph.

Big hand guards, a windscreen and heated grips would be very nice. I'm pretty sure the stock stator output is 185 watts, which will power the grips just fine. As far as lighting upgrades go, the cheapest thing to do is make sure the stock lamp is aimed properly. Sounds like a no-brainer, but it amazing how few people actually aim their headlamps.

I commute 45-50 miles one way depending on how I go 1-2x a week, mix of main roads, highway and backroads. Best thing you can do is get a shield for cold and rain, mine came with it from previous owners so I don't have much info on it, original owner fabbed brackets on triple clamps, shield covers most of front even hands. Goes on and off in about 10minutes very solid. Can't supply picks, but some are on yahoo xr group last page. Previous owner posted the bike with shield. No close ups though. Sunday night rode home at 35degrees dressed in layers with two piece rainsuit as final layer (great to break wind) snug as a bug. I don't like a shield for regular riding, but for commuting you can't be it.(Except kind of sissy looking; worth it to be warm and blocking rain):bonk: Also Avon tires work well in the rain, Distanzias or Gripsters, plus wear well, just keep them out of the mud.:cheers: Bike still gets close to about 50mpg and still cruises 60-65 with shield.?