handle bar/clamp question

hey guys i was just wondering what you are running cause my bars are slightly bent and need to be taller (even though i'm 5' 6") should i invest in a whole new triple clamp set up or just get the risers? i probabaly won't be able to feel any weight difference so i don't think spending the money on the whole setup is what i need to do.

thanks guys,

I recently posted this!

This is how it begins. Hard dismount leaves me with bent handlebars! I buy Renthal twin walls (oversized). This leads to Universal protaper bar mounts. This leads to handguards that don't fit. (MSR) Buy mounts for handguards that fit 1-1/8" protapers.( hoping they will work on Twin Walls) They don't fit Carmichael bend Twinwalls. Send those back! I spend more money and buy Fastway Handgurds that attach to the bar mounts. Do you see where this is leading? The Fastway handguards don't fit with the universal mounts.I just ordered some Applied Racing Bar mounts! Applied says they will fit my 2006 WR450 (supposedly interchangable with the YZ triple clamp) BTO's websight says they will not fit although you can buy a YZ fit. (pretty misleading if you go to the BTO web site) I can only gues what will be the next layer on my snowball!!

since your bars are bent and you're going to be replacing them anyways, the cheapest fix would be to buy taller bars that fit your stock clamp, 7/8" size. Look at the Renthal 971 bend, this will be taller than your stock Yamaha Renthal bars (if this is what you currently have) by 19mm which is close to an inch. The 971 is the same bend that currently comes on the Hondas and the Kawi from the factory.

I agree Beerad!

thanks beerad, i'll check into those

well i couldn't find any of the 971's that were 7/8" so i probably just end up with a spacer... i wonder if i can make them... :cheers:

well i couldn't find any of the 971's that were 7/8" so i probably just end up with a spacer... i wonder if i can make them... :cheers:

I made some out of some alloy I had lying round on my lathe. Just went to the max height that I could while still allowing the nut to have some decent grip on the thread. The locking part of the nut now doesn't touch the thread so just loctite it on. This will raise them 15mm. You may be able to find suitable spacers off the shelf.

I have also heard of cutting some of the footpeg sleeve off to lower the footpegs say 10mm (1/2" almost). I'm still thinking about that one as it's nonreversible. Does have the advantage however of throwing the pegs slightly back as well

Moose makes some nice 7/8 - 1 1/8 adapters/risers :cheers:

If I change the stock bars to the rental fat bars do I have to change all the perches, and throttle assembly.

If I change the stock bars to the rental fat bars do I have to change all the perches, and throttle assembly.

you don't have to change all that stuff because the only spot where the bars are bigger is where they clamp on to the bar clamps.

i ordered the TAG bar kit from TT store. it comes with the risers... just waiting for it to come in.

I got a set of fatbar adapters on ebay and they work great. They also raise the bars up a bit, which sounds like what you want anyway. I have protapers cut down a couple inches for the woods, and have servived some decent get-offs with no issue. I run EE handguards and just bought a set of 1-1/8 mounts on ebay as well, and they work just fine. If the bars were any narrower I'd have to re-drill the handguards, but it works grat for now. Be sure to loctite the bolks that hold the spacers on top of the stock bottom clamp so the don't loosen on you -Jerry

Thanks ,, what do you think is the strongest bars,, bending wise ,, I had fat bars on my rms with moose bar busters ,, but how is pro tappers fat bars.

I've fitted a pr of Pro Tapers CR high bend, with a set of risers on stock clamps. I appreciate the extra height & these bars a strong.