HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beerad

1992 XR600 Restored (PICS)

27 posts in this topic

OK, guys, I recently finished restoring an old XR600 that was given to me from a friend after it sat in his garage for about 5 years collecting dust! One note about the pictures, this bike was complete ROACH when I got it, unfortunately I lost the before pictures though. And yes, it's CA plated!

Everything on this bike was either rebuilt, repainted, replaced, or refinished to perfect working condition. check it out. I've also recently bought a Garmin Etrex Vista CX and the RAM mount for the bike and am curious about adding a 12v accessory plug for it, is this possible on this bike since there is no battery?

thanks,

XR6001.jpg

XR6002.jpg

XR6003.jpg

No, you need not only a battery, but a rectifire regulator to change AC current comming out of the stator, to DC for the accessories, and regulate it. Having a battery is a good thing for many reasons. One is the lights work without the motor running, and won't dim at the stop signs or stoplights. And the other is all 12v accessories will also work and not fry, and will continue to work without the motor running. The changeover is easy, go to Baja Designs website and buy a DC rectifire regulator, run the white/yellow AC wire into it from the stator after removing the stock AC regulator from under the seat, then go to Batteries plus and buy the long skinny 2.9AH Gelcel and wire the red wire from the rectifire to it on the hot side, ground the batteries black side and ground the black wire comming out of the rectifire. DO NOT ground these two tegether on and XR600 as it will not work. Ground both to the frame. Then run the power wores that used to come out of the AC regulator to the hot out on the rectifire and you are golden. Nice job by the way! The bike looks great....if you every want to sell it itll sell very quickly. How much time is on the motor?

Great info on the electrical sniper! I'll keep that in mind if/when I decide I need 12v power supply.

I rebuilt the motor a few years ago before my friend stopped riding the bike so it's fairly fresh. Has good compression and runs strong. It's funny, after the restoration, the bike fired up first kick after not being started for over 2 years!:cheers:

You don't need a battery to get quality filtered 12VDC out of your 12VAC setup. Unless you need DC power with the bike off (does your state requires the tail light to work with the bike off) or have electric start a battery is not required or in my opinion desired.

option 1; http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/search_sku.lasso?SKU=030-0021&=Find%2BPart

option 2; regulator/ rectifier and capacitor instead of regulator / rectifier and battery http://trailtech.net/store/7003-RR-150W.html http://trailtech.net/store/040-CAP27.html

both of these options are the same, r/r with capacitors to filter, #2 is better if you will be running everything (lights, turnsignals, horn, GPS , etc...) on DC, #1 is better / easier if you just want power for your GPS.

P.S. nice job on the bike, great attention to detail

VERY NICE! the only thing missing for us old guys with bad knees is an e-start button.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!

VERY NICE! the only thing missing for us old guys with bad knees is an e-start button.

Man that is a nice restore!!!!!!!!! I reckon it looks better than the red version!!!! The work that has gone into that is simply sensational!!!!

BTW - here's my answer to electric start - XR600 motor converted to E start:

IMG_4054.jpg

Great info on the electrical sniper! I'll keep that in mind if/when I decide I need 12v power supply.

I rebuilt the motor a few years ago before my friend stopped riding the bike so it's fairly fresh. Has good compression and runs strong. It's funny, after the restoration, the bike fired up first kick after not being started for over 2 years!:cheers:

Two words on that first kick thing

Itsa Honda

Nice try that's a 650l cool looking bike though what is the front end off crf 450?

Actually - it's an XR600. (mine)

Yes 2005 CRF450R forks, hub etc.

That 1992 bike is awesome - how did you get the motor looking so new?

Actually - it's an XR600. (mine)

Yes 2005 CRF450R forks, hub etc.

That 1992 bike is awesome - how did you get the motor looking so new?

Or you can use a drill motor and a brass wire wheel. It is soft enough to not scratch the cases, but burley enough to take off all the paint and stains. Im going to do my Supermoto after I thro the USD forks and stuf off of the desert sled on it for the winter.

BRAVO! That bike looks brand new and it's soooo clean! It looks like I could eat off the motor.

Did you paint the stock header silver? If so, what type/brand of paint did you use?

"O"

I've got a 92 as well. I feel like such a slacker.

If creating a bike so clean that people on TT would drool - Well played.

the header is ceramic coated from Big Gun , it came like that. then I just added a little reflective heat tape to keep from buring my pants.