2007 WR450 Performance Mods

Once again, know why and what you are cutting from your CDI. :thumbsup: Look at “YOUR” 07 WR450FW service manual. The “Gray” wire is one of two grounds for the CDI unit and is not a mod. There is a link somewhere in this web site where a guy cut the wire and could not get it started afterwards. Here is a link to help educate you. :devil:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/blue_wire.htm

The article you refer to address's the 03-04 models. However, the 07 wiring diagram show's the wires as you suggest. But, I did disconnect the gray wire from the CDI connector just as the AIS removal kit suggests. The bike not only runs, but runs very strong. There are many posts in here about disconnecting the "Gray" wire and the results from having done so. Some suggest that the difference was so much, that they reconnected it until they got used to the bike. Mine is staying disconnected and stowed.

The “Gray” wire is one of two grounds for the CDI unit and is not a mod.

You are correct the grey wire is one of two grounds. That is precisely why it is disconnected. Because when it is grounded it tells the CDI to use a different advance curve (for the EPA crap). By ungrounding it it switches to the real world curve bringing out more performance. Its been this way since the first WR400 and it is the same now. Even Yamaha's instuctions in their AIS removal kit says to disconnect the grey wire.

Thanks for the info. I will test this Gray wire (with/without) once I eventually :thumbsup: (10 days now) get my JD kit from TT. :devil:

I found the proper link listed below.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/gray_wire.htm

Thanks for the info. I will test this Gray wire (with/without) once I eventually :thumbsup: (10 days now) get my JD kit from TT. :devil:

I found the proper link listed below.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/gray_wire.htm

Good find WR 911.

Am I missing it, but is there a way to turn off the front headlight on the 07 WR's?

Am I missing it, but is there a way to turn off the front headlight on the 07 WR's?

You did miss, because I think you went off topic.

You did miss, because I think you went off topic.

Light on, power draw, loss of power.... On topic....

I've seen people mount up the TT-R 250 headlight switch on the older models, not sure if you can do that on the 2007. Why don't you just turn off the ignition when the motor not running?

Light on, power draw, loss of power.... On topic....

1 HP = 746 Watts

WR450 Headlight draws 35 Watts

35/746=.0469 Basically, 35 Watts = approx .05 HP

.05 HP = negligible use of available engine HP

I thought off topic because I didn't recall anybody mentioning the headlight, nor would anyone ever notice the difference. My appoligies.

1 HP = 746 Watts

WR450 Headlight draws 35 Watts

35/746=.0469 Basically, 35 Watts = approx .05 HP

.05 HP = negligible use of available engine HP

I thought off topic because I didn't recall anybody mentioning the headlight, nor would anyone ever notice the difference. My appoligies.

12 posts and you have become the thread police... Sorry oh master for taking the thread off topic!

12 posts and you have become the thread police... Sorry oh master for taking the thread off topic!

I aggreed with you and appologized.....

Actually, having re-read the whole thing, I may have been a little full of myself. My appoligies again derwud.

Back on topic:

Has anyone gotten the real AIS kit for the '07 from Yamaha? My dealer can't find a part number.

I aggreed with you and appologized.....

Actually, having re-read the whole thing, I may have been a little full of myself. My appoligies again derwud.

No problem I also asked in this thread because it is about '07's and being hopefully read by owners of '07's.. Yes I could have opened a new thread, but I would hate to get the dreaded, "Didn't you do a search" message.

Back on topic:

Has anyone gotten the real AIS kit for the '07 from Yamaha? My dealer can't find a part number.

No problem I also asked in this thread because it is about '07's and being hopefully read by owners of '07's.. Yes I could have opened a new thread, but I would hate to get the dreaded, "Didn't you do a search" message.

Understood. As to the kit. I purchased the kit from a local dealer. It did not say for the 07, but he told me it is the same. Again, it comes with a #48 pilot jet, a different needle jet which is circlip adjustable and adjusted to the fourth groove down, a new YZ length throttle stop, and a plug and gasket for the air tube that connects to the head. The plug and gasket blew right off of mine so I used a short piece of 5/8 hose and plugged it with a bolt inside it. I intend to completely remove the pipe and install a block off plate. Also included instructions for disconnecting the much talked about grey wire and opening up the airbox. I did not open the airbox but may later on.

Understood. As to the kit. I purchased the kit from a local dealer. It did not say for the 07, but he told me it is the same. Again, it comes with a #48 pilot jet, a different needle jet which is circlip adjustable and adjusted to the fourth groove down, a new YZ length throttle stop, and a plug and gasket for the air tube that connects to the head. The plug and gasket blew right off of mine so I used a short piece of 5/8 hose and plugged it with a bolt inside it. I intend to completely remove the pipe and install a block off plate. Also included instructions for disconnecting the much talked about grey wire and opening up the airbox. I did not open the airbox but may later on.

Yeah that kit is for the 05-06 models and doesn't work on the '07's. I used a 50 pilot I had for my 400 and I got a Dyno Jet kit that is (according to thier website) for the '07's and it worked great. I also replaced the throttle screw with a YZ part, which is the same as the earlier models and worked fine. I'm just nervous about the AIS removal and grey wire until I see something from Yamaha.

Here's my thoughts on the AIS Kit. If I would have seen one of the kits prior to purchasing it I would have elected to purchase individual items instead. A heads up to you do-it-yourself guys. It was an 06 kit and I had to make the exhaust block off plate myself and I could have made the the two rubber nipples myself, the only thing I really needed to buy was a needle and a pilot jet. So I spent $40 and couldn't use all the parts instead of less than $20 for what I needed. Even if an 07 kit was available the parts were so easy to make I would have still done it myself. I know I'm cheap but it was also fun.

Here is my Dubach exhaust on the bike... Very nice. Great fit.. I'll let you know about power later.

IMGP0446A.jpg

IMGP0448A.jpg

Here is my Dubach exhaust on the bike... Very nice. Great fit.. I'll let you know about power later.

IMGP0446A.jpg

IMGP0448A.jpg

Let's get that garage cleaned up derwud. :thumbsup:

I can make some room for the Jag, if you like! :thumbsup::devil::smirk:

Thanks Derwud, looks great, is that the Race model (w/ quiet insert and spark arrestor) for the 2007 YZ450F ? Just curious because you said the fit was amazing. I would probably go with the Race (closed course) model down here in the islands. Please post a report on the performance. Thanks again bud.

Thanks Derwud, looks great, is that the Race model (w/ quiet insert and spark arrestor) for the 2007 YZ450F ? Just curious because you said the fit was amazing. I would probably go with the Race (closed course) model down here in the islands. Please post a report on the performance. Thanks again bud.

It's the S/A model and according to both the Dealer and Dubach thje 07 WR and YZ 450's can use the same aftermarket exhaust.

I don't think it has the quiet insert because my 400 was quieter with the Big Gun with the quiet core.