Valve Adjustment XR650R

Yes, I've searched the threads, read them several times. Read the docs on all the links, have the service manual.

No problem with TDC -- good info shared here. :cheers:

Both intakes had tightened up to the point where I could not insert the specified feeler gauge. So, I loosed them up and adjusted just to the point where I could feel slight drag on the feeler gauge.

Moving on to exhaust, both seem to be a little loose -- I was able to insert the feeler gauge and not really have any drag on it.

So my question is about the amount on drag that I should feel through the feeler gauge -- I'm a little concerned that I left the intake too tight and that I should have tightened the exhaust a smidgen.

What say ye?

Dan

I do it this way.

1.) Can I get the next size larger (by .001") feeler gauge in at all?

Yes = too loose.

2.) How much drag do I get with the next size smaller (by .001") feeler gauge in?

Drag = too tight.

The problem is that there is way too much difference between one man's "drag" and another's. For me, I always go in sideways to the rocker arm with an angled feeler gauge. I have been able to get what amounts to false readings by getting drag from contact of the feeler gauge on other parts of the head.

It is better to be too loose than tight, and if they are too loose, you'll hear the knocking!!

I do it this way.

1.) Can I get the next size larger (by .001") feeler gauge in at all?

Yes = too loose.

2.) How much drag do I get with the next size smaller (by .001") feeler gauge in?

Drag = too tight.

The problem is that there is way too much difference between one man's "drag" and another's. For me, I always go in sideways to the rocker arm with an angled feeler gauge. I have been able to get what amounts to false readings by getting drag from contact of the feeler gauge on other parts of the head.

It is better to be too loose than tight, and if they are too loose, you'll hear the knocking!!

Thanks for the reply! I use the small, angled feeler gauge that seems specific for the 650R (just has the two sizes, one on each end) and slide it in sideways as well. Suppose I'll have to try and squeeze in a standard feeler gauge to do the "bookend" test.

I was reluctant to bring up the "drag" issue -- you're right, that one's tough to measure!

Dan