HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Guest

The Wheelie King Killed on Sunday..

4 posts in this topic

Doug Domokos, the famous wheelie king, was killed on Sunday, November 26, 2000 in an ultralight aircraft accident.

For those of you who dont know who he is, he was very famous in the early 80's for doing insane wheelies. He was the guy in the movie "Cannonball Run" who rode the wheelie on the harley chopper with the stunt double on the back. He held the world record for the longest wheelie, he was sick.

Go to www.thewheelieking.com to send any condolences...

1 person likes this

Saw it last night on motoworld.......Bummer! I saw him wheelie around the track at one of the Supercrosses at the LA coleium in the 70's.

It's was cool to see the interview with Bad Brad Lackey though!

Am I dating myself........who cares!

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 98CR80, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank and IMS seat. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA.

I first saw Doug the wheelie king doing his thing at the Omaha Nebraska national MX around 77 or 78. What a sight it was to see this guy ride the entire track without putting his front tire down...jumps, whoops, uphills, downhills and every thing else on the course. I remember kids running along as he circulated the long course. How could this guy make something so difficult look so easy...he was very talented rider and will be missed. Godspeed Doug

Doug was a Michigan Mafia member in the mid 70's(AMA District 14 motocrosser). He would always win the wheelie contests held after the 1st round of motos at Niles Sports Forum and Red Bud.

The wheelie contests came to an end when Doug was able to make it around the first turn at Red Bud on one wheel. Everyone else lost the will to compete againts him.

My Dad has some 8mm home movie footage of Doug leading the Open class at Niles Sport Forum on a very stock looking DT360 Yamaha. The bike wasn't that fast but nobody was able to pass because the massive rear wheel side hop through the whoops blocked all the fast passing lines.

When I saw Doug at the LA Collisum Super Cross in `84 or `85 doing the one wheel thing around the track I felt real proud that a local boy was making a living riding a dirt bike.

He will be missed.

1 person likes this