switching tripleclamps from 2004 to 2007

Can anyone tell me if it possible to switch triple clamps from my 04 450 to my 07 450. I know there is a 2mm difference between the two bikes but do not know which bike is narrower and which one is wider. I have a really nice set of tristar triple clamps for my 04 and would like to know if I can put them on the 07. The question is could I purchase axle spacers or something else to make this work. I am trying to save a few bucks. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks John

You could, but I don't recommend it. The '07 is the wider of the two, and doing this would require you to either use a left (brake side) wheel spacer 1mm narrower than stock, or recenter the rim with the spokes.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437346

the triple clamp is a top and bottom and wouldnt the spacing just be made up in the axle

Here is a crazy thought....contact the company that makes the clamps and ask them.

the triple clamp is a top and bottom and wouldnt the spacing just be made up in the axle
Lets' go over this again.

The '06 and up triple clamp sets the forks 2mm farther apart, but the '06/7 uses the same wheel, axle, and spacers as the older 450, so there's only one thing that could have been done; the axle lugs on the fork, and the caliper bracket, have been moved inboard 1mm on each side. If you put the earlier, narrower clamps on the new fork, the space for the front wheel will be too narrow by 2mm.

DPW

I did but they said it would not work because of the 2mm difference. I am not sure if they just want to sell another clamp. If I did put the clamp on it would be 1mm narrower on each side and at the bottom of the forks they just float on the axle and then you tighten them down. So I was wondering if someone else has dealt with this and has more knowledge on this than me.

Isn't there a reason why Yamaha changed the wheel spacing on '06/'07 YZs?

DPW So I was wondering if someone else has dealt with this and has more knowledge on this than me.

They have answered you, but apparently you didnt hear what you wanted so you keep asking. Tdub

No I typed the reply to one person when someone else was answering me at the same time. Thanks for the info and the replies. You guys are hardcore.