HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MJC476

Maintenance intervals

3 posts in this topic

I know this has been asked a heap of different ways before, but.... I would like to know how long (in hours) you should run between replacing/rebuilding the following parts without doing un-necessary work or pushing the use by date too far.

Piston Rings

Piston (& rings)

cam chain (& bottom sprocket?)

split cases & check/repair bottom end & gearbox

There is enough info on valve monitoring adjusting out there, but any other component you may think is important to replace regularly.

It's tough to guess at the hours, but I'll guess that I put on about 75-100 per year. But only about a third is racing. The rest is hard recreational riding.

In that environment, a new cam chain annually is about right. You do not want to replace the bottom sprocket; it's cut directly on the crank. You can figure out what that means, right?

As to the rest, I have to say, I don't know. My '03 has had nothing more than oil changes and two cam chains since it was new. Original rings, original piston, never a valve adjustment. I'll say that it might be a good idea to re-ring it soon.

Thanks Gray,

A cam chain every 100 hours & might as well wack a set of rings out of the spares kit in at the same time. That won't be too taxing on the wallet or time.