Baja 1000 ... Who Won?!?

Keep in mind that Team Honda (unlike Team Albino Pig) didn't care if the bike was totally used up when they finished. The only requirement for them was to bring home the trophy. The reality for me and a lot of other riders is, I don't have the disposable cash to ride-one-time and dispose in appropriate container.

I totally agree with you. I just look at it this way, Honda built another legend for the desert and now they'll make it that much better. Just as they did with the original XR500

The reason I went with my 650R in the first place was due to its legendary reliability. Plenty of oil capacity & much less wear than a smaller bore 4 stroke. I did not buy mine to race so much as for a great dual sport. I don't believe there's another bike out there which is better for this as all the new hi-tech 4 strokes have meager oil capacity. If I were a pro with lots of support I would consider one of the new bikes. I'm no longer single with lots of time to wrench on a bike in my spare time. Kind of off the Baja subject but my 2 cents worth.

It just doesn't make sense to throw away a good engine like the 650R. Why not lighten up a few parts on the R and send it out as a model upgrade next year? If the other companies are moving into big bore dirt bikes, this doesn't seem like the right time to drop the 650R. Sounds like the right time to make some improvements on what you've already accomplished.

The 450 won by 1 hour . Not that big a magin in a race of that magnatude.The XR is still the KING of the desert & will always be in my opinon. Hale & long live the KING !!!

The 450 won by 1 hour . Not that big a magin in a race of that magnatude.The XR is still the KING of the desert & will always be in my opinon. Hale & long live the KING !!!

FYI... The lead 450 won by 2 HOURS over the other factory 450, which had 1 Hour on the third placed ride (650R). Three hours total over the first 650R is a substantial margin, but then again, the Honda A team had no problems unlike the majority of the other top competitors.

Six of the top 10 bikes were 650's and the other four were 450's. My opinion is that the 650 will continue to be the bike of choice for the racer with a budget. At least for a little while longer.

Maybe I missed it, but how did the Honda B team do.

The Honda B team was the second place team.

If the honda A team was on a 650 they still would have won,when getting paid to race,which means getting paid to prerun ,who knows how many times they each preran there section while others were home working ,you find the fastest lines also they saw no dust they were out in front the whole race. They were so far out front they had time to hit a taco shop for god sakes.:cheers:

My buddy on 9X third open bike. Great ride:worthy: :cheers:

My buddy on 9X third open bike. Great ride:worthy: :cheers:

Here's a pic of his rear wheel that was changed in BOLA.

IRGBX-2006baja1000025.jpg

If the honda A team was on a 650 they still would have won,when getting paid to race,which means getting paid to prerun ,who knows how many times they each preran there section while others were home working ,you find the fastest lines also they saw no dust they were out in front the whole race. They were so far out front they had time to hit a taco shop for god sakes.:p

Fish tacos and some beer. That's good livin'!:cheers:

Heck, even if you weren't out front, could you pass that up after beating yourself up for a couple hundred miles?

Change the oil, change air filter, check valves once in a blue moon, and ride (oh and replace a lot of rear tires).

That about sums up owning a BRP and that's why I love it. I still have time to surf, pursue other hobbies, spend time with my wife and friends etc..

Or I could buy a 450 and spend all my free time fixing my bike. + that 450 engine was not stock. Big difference between Henge's bike and what you are getting off the dealer floor.

Sad to see the XR being pushed aside. Going to have to look at buying an 07 and store it away for the future....

I would like to see the x's barrel,valve train and piston speced for wear,just out of curiosity to know if it was trashed or not.

ride fast crf450x

Going to have to look at buying an 07 and store it away for the future....

There's going to be more than one of us doing this...

Change the oil, change air filter, check valves once in a blue moon, and ride (oh and replace a lot of rear tires).

That about sums up owning a BRP and that's why I love it. I still have time to surf, pursue other hobbies, spend time with my wife and friends etc..

Or I could buy a 450 and spend all my free time fixing my bike. + that 450 engine was not stock. Big difference between Henge's bike and what you are getting off the dealer floor.

Sad to see the XR being pushed aside. Going to have to look at buying an 07 and store it away for the future....

Yahtzee, a stock 450 would not finish the 1000.Keep your 6 fiddies, your grandchildren will thank you.

I'm kicking myself.... I was in Cabo from Wednesday to Monday. I told my wife this is were the Baja 1000 is held. I didn't even think to check when the race was actually run. When I was on the plane to go home, a guy in front of me was talking about the race.

I would have given up the Snorkling Booze Cruz to go to the race.

Maybe next year.

AJ

not sure if you guys have done this yet but if you go to youtube.com you can see a crap load of good baja videos that look like they have been done pretty well. some companies even went so far as to rent a chopper and stuff.

cactusfilms in particular seems to do some pretty good ones. there was one other company that did some good ones but i can't remember the name