Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
santoy

Loud ATV's

3 posts in this topic

This is pretty far off any discussion topic I've seen, But I've sure noticed alot of big engine ATV's with silencers about 1/2 the size of the one on my 01 426. I don't have any way to measure the noise from these geeky rides, but they sure as hell seem alot louder than any bike out there. Do they have different rules than real bikes?

It's got to be aftermarket stuff. Or modified stock stuff.

The reason I say that is because any stock silencer on an ATV is going to be spark arrested. And it is going to be long to keep the noise down, and steel becuase it needs to be cheap. I would even say that most of them are going to be quieter than silencers on MX bikes even when they have the same motor. Mostly this is due to the spark arrestor vs no spark arrestor.

However when it comes to the aftermarket, or some jerk who took a holesaw to his stock pipe, well, in that case, all bets are off. Just like with any other motorized vehicle, from the smallest JR50 to the Yamaha Rhino RTV.

definitely aftermarket. All the rides I'm speaking of look like they have tons of $$$ poured in them. Off road bikes, 4 and 2 wheel , need to be on the same page when it comes to noise.