Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajflyboy

XR 650R & Jumping?

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 XR 650R with a Title and street legal. I have 3 sets of tires for the bike. Street/MX/ and Dual Sport

I have mostly used the bike on the road and some on the trails. I have been taking my pit bike (DRZ 125L) to a local MX track and playing around a little. I am getting more interested in motocross.

My question is this. How much abuse can the 650R take on an MX track? Can I do some jumping with the bike? I have an Ohlins Rear Shock on the bike. I plan on getting a true MX bike soon but I would'nt mind taking the 650R on the track some if possible.

Thanks

I doubt very much you will do any harm to the bike. You will eventually discover its limitations as your jumping distance/heights increase due to the weight. Nonetheless it will probably take you a while to reach its limitations if you're new to MX'ing. I used to ride my woods bikes on MX tracks & enjoyed it thoroughly for the first couple of years. I did later but an MX bike after I got tired of bottoming my other ones. Just be minded of the weight & learn to adjust your suspension for the conditions & you'll have plenty of fun. It'll actually make you a better rider to learn on what you have before exploring equipment more suited to the specific application.

Thanks

I was pretty much thinking the same thing >> it will be a great learning experience on this bike. Then later on with a lighter MX bike things will be easy. I'd hate to hit a good size jump and mess up the bike though!

Few miles short of 300 miles on my L. Rest assured, a fat pig CAN fly...

May not be pretty, but she can fly. Gonna buy a helmet cam...

Still want to balance with a new trials though. Wish Honda made a good one still...

As a kid, my TL125 did tricks...

Few miles short of 300 miles on my L. Rest assured, a fat pig CAN fly...

May not be pretty, but she can fly. Gonna buy a helmet cam...

Still want to balance with a new trials though. Wish Honda made a good one still...

As a kid, my TL125 did tricks...

Honda does make a good one. They are sold under the Spanish brand name Montesa.

http://www.usmontesa.com/

Fuelie four stroke. Defending World Trials Champion.