Swaping out tires/wheels easily...

There is probably a post for this topic already out there, but I don't want to wade through 500 pages of topics to find it.

Anyway, (for all of you experienced enduro riders) what is easier: changing the knobbies from the wheel, or getting two sets of wheels and swaping out the entire wheel when I want a change. My problem is that I ride both dirt and street about 50% of the time. My knobbies wear out to quickly to ride on the street, and the street tires suck on dirt!:cheers:

thanks for the help!

I have two sets of wheels! It is the best way to maximize your bike so that you can ride all the time, while not wasting money on tires! I have it set up so that my gearing can go to 14-15 front, then the rear wheels are set with 45 street and 48 off road. Same chain. Love this set up and highly recommend!

I guess we'll explain it the long way...

The best way is to use two sets of wheels, one with your street tires, and one with your dirt tires.

The only disadvatage of this set-up is cost. If you truly want to make this a "bolt and go" proposition, you also need to have brake rotors and the rear sprocket on your "extra" set of wheels. Many times when you buy a spare wheel (such as off of e-bay) you get the sprockets and rotors with them. If you are buying an aftermarket assembly (i.e. Talon/Excel) you will need to purchase these separately.

The time and hassle of changing over rotors and sprockets IMO is as much a hassle as just changing the tire.

What xr650l bum is referring to is that with your street tires on a separate set of rims, you can have different sprocket (gearing) that is more optimized for the street mounted up and ready to go. Or a 650R, the stock gearing is 14/48. On the street, 15/47 is more desireable (or even higher at 15/45). The chain distance for 14/48 and 15/47 is identical, so when you switch wheels you can optimize the gearing as well without having to cut the chain or screw with chain adjustment.

For my bike, I have been switching all summer between Michelin Deserts for dual sport rides, and a Dunlop 606 rear with a Dunlop 490 front for dirt use. I will have a new set of Talon hubs with Excel rims for the Dunlops before the first of the year!

In other words, I change my tires back and forth all the time, but it is a real pain in the $%^, and I am not going to do it any more! I think that the money for new wheel assemblies is worth it; I would have done it earlier, but I had other expenditure priorities.

I have two sets of wheels! It is the best way to maximize your bike so that you can ride all the time, while not wasting money on tires! I have it set up so that my gearing can go to 14-15 front, then the rear wheels are set with 45 street and 48 off road. Same chain. Love this set up and highly recommend!

YEA, ME TOO:thumbsup:

When you say 14/48 for stock, do you mean the front sprocket is 14 and the back is 48?

Again, sorry for my ingorance...

When I say 14/48, I mean the front sprocket is 14 and the wheel sprocket is 48. Do not know if that is stock, but it what I like to use off road.