1986 Honda XL600R Camshaft

I would double check that they are interchangeable. I think that the journals are spaced differently. Doesn't the XL cam have those "worm gear" threads in the middle? I have what I understand to be an XL600 cam and it will not fit in my XR head. By the way, it's a Megacycle Full Race cam ( high lift, etc.) and is available on eBay. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm almost positive they are not interchangeable. I wish they were, it's an awesome cam for my use.

• 3 years later...

Has anyone had success using a 1987 Honda XR600R camshaft in a 1987 HONDA XL600R bike? Get differing answers from the few posts on this subject. Some say that the heads need to be changed while others say that they do not. Also stated is that performance increases. Would hate to try this and possible ruin my engine. Any replies gratefully appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

Welcome to TT.

'83-87 XL600R cams are interchangeable with '85-87 XR600R cams. The only possible difference between them is whether or not the tachometer drive gear has teeth cut. I don't know of any '83-87 RFVCs that came with a tach in North America, so the cams are, in effect, completely interchangeable.

I suggest reading the FAQ and becoming more familiar with the search feature. Your question was answered by Rideaid and many times since this thread was posted four years ago.

Sorry. New to these forums and not familiar with all of the features. I tried to use the FAQ tab but when I tried to search all I got in return is "no items match search criteria". Even when I entered only the word XL600R. Guess I am not too familiar with using that feature. Thanks anyway for your reply. I just purchased a camshaft from a 1987 XR600R to use in my XL600R.

Sorry. New to these forums and not familiar with all of the features. I tried to use the FAQ tab but when I tried to search all I got in return is "no items match search criteria". Even when I entered only the word XL600R. Guess I am not too familiar with using that feature. Thanks anyway for your reply. I just purchased a camshaft from a 1987 XR600R to use in my XL600R.

Sounds like you went to the general site FAQ on the upper left of the page. The FAQ I referred to is at the top of the thread list in the XR600/650 forum.

a4043dab.jpg

Something I think that is not widely known is that the search on this forum accepts Boolean operators AND and NOT. For example, you can type in "XL600 AND cam" and the search will only return posts(or thread titles if you choose) that contain both terms. It will also accept "XL600 NOT cam" and return posts that have "XL600" in them and not "cam." Pretty handy when you get the hang of it.

As usual HT is right. All 83-87 XR/XL 500/600 cams are interchangeable. 88 up all models and displacement (except 650R) have different lobe spacing but also interchange. The 2 head series do not interchange cams sprockets or rockers. Tach gear clearance is there for either cam. My XR500 head has an XL600 cam in it. Someone posted some specs a while back showing the only real difference between XL/XR cams was 10 degrees more duration on the XL with lift being nearly identical.

The 1985-1987 XR600R cam will work in the 83-87 XL600R. The 02-1006R Web cam is a good cam. I have an extra one....... Uses stock Rockers, no hard weld coating needed.

Every Webcam I've ever seen for an XR/L is a hardwelded regrind. That 1006 sounds more like the White Bros #1600 for their Webcam grind which is definitely a hardweld according to the current Webcam website.

When using a webcam or a megacycle cam, how critical is it to use there spring kit. I just purchased a kibblewhite spring kit and new oem valve guides and all new valves. The webcams site suggests using there springs and guides.

Any cam that specs more than .355" lift will need a spring change and shortened valve guides in the least. Most need aftermarket retainers as well because the ID/OD of the new springs is different. Kibblewhite does have aa set of springs that work with all stock components.

If i can confirm that the spring rates are similar between the kibblewhite kit and the ones offered by webcams or megacycle. is it possible to machine the guides down to compensate for the increased lift?

I hate to buy another set after just buying new ones. I guess i didnt do enough research first. I have access to a machine shop and spring presses so i should be able to retro fit the parts if its possible.

I guess before i go to far I need to figure out which cam would be best? I am building an 83 xl600r with a 96 front end and a rear end off a 1990 cr500. I plan to do some ice racing this winter and then dual sporting and super moto in the summer. I think I would like to error on the high side for hp, but i am not sure if should go with the full race cam or someplace in the middle.

I am hoping i can run it as fast on the ice as the cr500af that i built a few years ago.

If i can confirm that the spring rates are similar between the kibblewhite kit and the ones offered by webcams or megacycle. is it possible to machine the guides down to compensate for the increased lift?

I hate to buy another set after just buying new ones. I guess i didnt do enough research first. I have access to a machine shop and spring presses so i should be able to retro fit the parts if its possible.

I guess before i go to far I need to figure out which cam would be best? I am building an 83 xl600r with a 96 front end and a rear end off a 1990 cr500. I plan to do some ice racing this winter and then dual sporting and super moto in the summer. I think I would like to error on the high side for hp, but i am not sure if should go with the full race cam or someplace in the middle.

I am hoping i can run it as fast on the ice as the cr500af that i built a few years ago.

Megacycle sells Kibblewhite springs/kits. Webcam uses RD springs etc. Most people don't install cams that need any of this stuff because of the expense involved. I don't see enough material in the right places to machine the stock guides. One problem is the location of the valve seal retaining groove. Cutting the spring seat on the bottom side and then shortening up the end where it protrudes into the port may work but the spring seat will get pretty thin and need shimming for the inside spring. Wouldn't say it can't be done but be very careful to check all dimensions and clearances. I'd be glad to supply dimensions for RD guides if needed. Kibblewhite dimensions (except length I think) are available in their catalog. The KW 30-30017 springs appear to work with stock guides but lift is still an issue. Webcam springs absolutely will not work without their guides, retainers etc. I love XRs but I doubt one can be built to legitimately compete with a CR500 under most situations. 45 hp out of an XR600 is pretty easy to do. Over 50 starts to get a bunch more complicated and expensive. The HRC or Megacycle X12 will get ya there with the other required mods. Megacycles x35 can make 60+. With an XL600 you can't get as many cc but the rpm factor is slightly better. Even with one of the 105/106mm piston kits you will only get 650-660.

Yeah i guess if you have the specs on the RD guides that will help me decide if its worth buying them or trying to modify the oem ones i just purchased.

Now i already have a 101mm piston, and it doesnt look like i could bore it out as big as you are saying. What are you doing to come up with a cylinder that large.

I guess if i could end up around 55 to 60 i would be doing pretty good. Im sure the broader power and torque of the 600 will make it pretty competitive on the ice.

So here are the mods i am planning, See if you think they will get me close.

-101 mm wiseco 11:1 piston

-either the x12 or x35 cam

-ported, with 3 angle valve grind

-opened up intake

-fmf q pipe and larger headers (wrapped)

-lightened flywheel

-new oil pump and cooler (get the most oil i can to the top end)

Thats my plan so far. Any ideas for carburetor set up, We are running dual pumper carbs on my dads MZ660 road racer, which used a 660 raptor motor.