Riding tools-how many carry them on rides?

How many of you carry tools on every ride? How many carry extra tubes on every ride? I tend to be a overkill/over preparation kind of guy- and can see a fannypack or tool bag in my future? Any suggestions? Obviously as light as possible- anyone using the moose fannypacks? Thanks for any suggestions guys :cheers:

Dude where do I start, well I have both a moose spare tube fender pack and tool bag I wear. I carry everything needed for just about every break down and tire repair on me or on my riding buddy xr400rider1 :cheers: You can never be too prepared better safe than well you get the picture:eek:

• Like 1

Dude where do I start, well I have both a moose spare tube fender pack and tool bag I wear. I carry everything needed for just about every break down and tire repair on me or on my riding buddy xr400rider1 :cheers: You can never be too prepared better safe than well you get the picture:eek:

?

Could you elabotate please? My "L" didnt come with the tool kit and I would like an idea of what I should be carrying without overdoing it. My "L" is heavy enough without me carrying my entire toolbox - but not carrying anything is stupid.:bonk:

?

Could you elabotate please? My "L" didnt come with the tool kit and I would like an idea of what I should be carrying without overdoing it. My "L" is heavy enough without me carrying my entire toolbox - but not carrying anything is stupid.:bonk:

I am sure there are posts which illustrate "must have tools" to carry or have on a ride- What I am doing is when I use a tool once on the bike, it then goes into the "bike tool bag". After awhile you will probably create your own "must have tool list" to have with you

Does anyone have a cheat sheet or know of a post which illustrates common tools most agree you should carry?:cheers:

I carry (in my 1980s fanny pack I found in the trash 10 years ago):

-Vice Grips (small)

-8, 10, 12, 14, 12/14, 17, 19 open/box end wrenches

-Long phillips head screw driver

-"L" shaped flat screw driver

-Phillips "L" shaped screw driver

-Flat/phillips computer-style screw driver

-0 to 20psi air gauge

-Pocket knife (got for free 10 years ago)

These tools are stuffed into a old army sock to keep them from rattling and the sock doubles as a wipe rag.

In addition:

-Mountain bike air pump ($8, used)

-Electrical tape

-Zip-ties

-Paper clips and bobby pins

-Old underwear (wipe rag #2 and fanny pack stuffing to keep everything from wobbling around

-Honda spark plug remover (Bogarted from my XR200R)

I don't carry a tube or tools to change a tire. I've only had two flats in 20 years and both times I just rode it out (3 miles and 25 miles).

"O"

• Like 1

I'll post a pic later of what tools come with the L, I have seperate tools and bags for the R when Im offroading. but what you always gotta have is a patch kit, 2 small tire irons and a small pump, besides necessitys like leaterman tool, I carry a chain press and extra links and master link (had to use one on my buddys bike recently) spare front tube cause it will work on either front or rear, tools to remove front and rear wheels, spark plug wrench extra plug, zip ties, electrical tape....and the list goes on

I use an OGIO fanny pack/tool bag with the following items:

1/4" drive deep sockets 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 3" extension, and ratchet

Folding Hex head allen wrench set

Spoke wrench

Small needle nose vise grips

Small pair of wire snips/dykes

Wrenches: 10/12 open end combo, 14 box end, 8 box end

MSR "multi wrench" that has the axle nut sizes on either end

Spark plug socket

Stubby #2 phillips

Short slotted (to get into air screws on carb and susp. clickers)

Small pair of channel locks

Small pair of reg. adjustable pliers

MSR Quick Steel

Spare front brake lever

Spare Clutch lever

Small Roll of electrical tape

A length of 18 guage electrical wire

Pouch of electrical connectors (butt connectors, spades, OEM Honda bullets: both male, female, and their covers)

Spare nuts and bolts (always at least two sprocket bolts and nuts, shouldered rad shroud bolts)

Long zip ties

Saftey wire (doubles as emergency cotter pins)

Master Link

Spark plug

Spare gloves in a zip lock bag with my registration

TP!!!

I don't carry a spare tube or other tire changing stuff. I've never had a flat while trail riding. My riding partner does carry a spare tube in an MSR fender pack and the assorted tools for it.

I carry all the electrical supplies because we ride in the dark regularly, and have had electrical issues with others who tag along in the dark with us.

If I am going on a very long ride (200+ miles), or know that it will be super dusty, I also fold up an air filter, put it in a zip-loc bag and tape it to the inside of my headlight shell.

When I had Kawasakis, I also included R and L footpeg springs.

I'm sure that I left something off the list, and I almost never use the stuff. But as soon as you don't have it, that is when you need it.

I made my own tool bag, has all sorts of goodies

1/4 inch drive socket set

big crescent hammer

master links

duck tape

JB weld

rags

screwdrivers

gerber

extra plug

spark plug wrench

allen set

coming soon a front fender bag with some small tire irons and tubes in it.

I have a moose tool kit bag bolted to my rear fender, right behind the end of the saddle. Here's what it contains:

Spark plug wrench

adjustable wrench (big enough for axles)

1/4 drive sockets and rachet, in small case

8mm, 10/11, 12/13, 17/19mm wrenches

vise grips

small needle nose pliers

small diagonal cutters

folding hex keys

quick steel

tube patch kit

valve stem tool

combination screw driver

extra spark plug

chain master link

hose clamps and cable ties

1' x 2' towel

pocket knife

It all fits into the tool bag. I also carry tire irons, a hand pump ,a lightweight 15 foot towing strap and a 3 foot length of fuel line, in a small backpack. The fuel line (hillbilly credit card, someone called it) is the best part of the kit, if someone runs out of gas on the trail.

My only problem is that I'm 5' 7", with short legs, and I have real trouble sometimes swinging my leg over the tool kit.

My only problem is that I'm 5' 7", with short legs, and I have real trouble sometimes swinging my leg over the tool kit.

I am 6'3", and sometimes(especially if there's cargo on the rack!) get on my L by:

• Approaching from the left side
  • Stepping my left foot on the left peg as I grab the bars with both hands and apply the front brake
  • Step up on that left peg (leg swingover is minimal once standing on the peg)
  • Plop down on the seat with a little rightward motion, brace the extent of this rightward motion by planting my right foot on the ground, and the bike stands up as i kick up the kickstand with my left foot.
  • Bike is leaning slightly to the right at this point, with my right foot securely on the ground. Front brake still on.

This sounds complex or even ridiculous perhaps when written down, but it is one fliud and quick motion. Even "graceful" might describe it, but I can't use that term and keep my ManCard, lol...:cheers:

Just make sure the kickstand is on firm ground!

For 20+ years, I have been toting pretty much the same equipment as outlined by "eastreich". Sometimes it is a real PITA having all that stuff weighing down the bike, and I have, over the years, occasionally taken some flak from my riding buddies about riding a service vehicle. However,more than a few of them have been appropriately humbled when they needed an item from my inventory to finish out the ride. Remember, if you aren't ready for it, IT will happen.

For 20+ years, I have been toting pretty much the same equipment as outlined by "eastreich". Sometimes it is a real PITA having all that stuff weighing down the bike, and I have, over the years, occasionally taken some flak from my riding buddies about riding a service vehicle. However,more than a few of them have been appropriately humbled when they needed an item from my inventory to finish out the ride. Remember, if you aren't ready for it, IT will happen.

Well said, I myself have a handful of buddies whos rides would have been cut short if not for my vast aray of tools:thumbsup: Including and back me up here xr400rider1.......a gas can ? Yes one riding buddy has even pulled the and I quote " I filled my gas can and left it at the gas station " one word BULLSHIT :cheers:

Yep no tools equal dissaster in the makings. Always carry tools and various essential parts like a couple Master links and spare length of chain, spark plug, small roll of electrical wire, tape, fuel hose and filter, JB Weld, patch kit, basic hand tools, I will occasionally carry 2 liters of oil in a back pack for the long trips along with ziplock baggies and rags a big trash bag, a few odd bolts & nuts, and most important I carry one of those silly nasa thermal blankets cause they are so small when folded neatly and do work to keep you warm. otherwise Murphy's Law will strike when you least expect it!

How many of you carry tools on every ride? How many carry extra tubes on every ride? I tend to be a overkill/over preparation kind of guy- and can see a fannypack or tool bag in my future? Any suggestions? Obviously as light as possible- anyone using the moose fannypacks? Thanks for any suggestions guys :cheers:

Carry the stock tool kit that came with bike in stock rear fender pack. Added masterlink, sparkplug and tiolet paper to the list along with spare clutch handle. Also added one of those promotion multi tool kits. More for show.... Don't carry tire tools. Had only 1 flat on ride. Rode back to camp with flat. Been lucky on that part. Will be adding c02 kit to the list.

I think the obvious answer is the more the merrier when it comes to tools. My L didn't come with a tool kit either. Bought the factory kit from BikeBandit.com. About 50 bucks. Against my better judgement as factory tool kits kinda suck and it seemed pricey. But, I did want it to fit in factory location, not on my body. I also included bailing wire, electrical tape, and some cable ties. I carry enough weight on my body with hydration pack, gps, camera, maps, etc. Stuff included in factory kits may help in most small breakdowns, may not. Beats a blank, I figure. Would much prefer to have Tire irons, tubes, glue, patches, spare engine, 12 pack of beer, etc, but have to balance parts you take with where you're going. Try to be realistic. If you plan on being a long way from home base/truck may want to include a few more items then for a short ride.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

FYI, I do plan on fanny/tool pack for rides where I'll camp overnight and go even farther from truck next day...

Adam

I am 6'3", and sometimes(especially if there's cargo on the rack!) get on my L by:

• Approaching from the left side
  • Stepping my left foot on the left peg as I grab the bars with both hands and apply the front brake
  • Step up on that left peg (leg swingover is minimal once standing on the peg)
  • Plop down on the seat with a little rightward motion, brace the extent of this rightward motion by planting my right foot on the ground, and the bike stands up as i kick up the kickstand with my left foot.
  • Bike is leaning slightly to the right at this point, with my right foot securely on the ground. Front brake still on.

This sounds complex or even ridiculous perhaps when written down, but it is one fliud and quick motion. Even "graceful" might describe it, but I can't use that term and keep my ManCard, lol...:cheers:

Just make sure the kickstand is on firm ground!

You can do that on an XR. I tried it this morning on mine, and it worked fine. But you don't dare try it on a KTM, or you'll break the kickstand bolt for sure! And Trail Tech (who sell the bolts) don't have them...still back ordered. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Start with a basic tool kit like one from www.trailtoolz.com and go from there. Here is a list of things you may want to consider:

1. Spark plug wrench that fits your bike.

2. Spare Spark Plug for the bike you are riding.

3. Chain Repair Kit (Spare master link, Spare Clip, a few spare links, Chain Breaker).

Matches or a lighter.

4. Large Zip Ties.

5. Duct Tape (You can wrap a foot of it around a wrench to save space).

6. Hi temp epoxy putty (like JB weld but, dries quick and doesn't run).

7. About 6 feet of aluminum wire equivalent (something that will bend and not break).

8. Electrical Wire (for electrical repairs or can be used to clean out a clogged jet).

9. Leatherman multi- tool or equivalent.

10. Tire repair kit (Patches, Glue, small tire Irons, small pump or CO2 filler, small bottle of dish soap (to lube the bead and to clean up afterward).

11. Axle wrench (front & rear combo).

12. Light duty front innertubes (light duty to limit weight

and space).

13. Homemade radiator bypass kit (so you can bypass one of the two if you put a hole in it).

14. Tow Strap.

15. e clip for the carb needle - awful easy to lose this baby, taped to the spare plug holder.

16. Spare thingy that inside the valve on a tire tube - same idea, wrapped in tape.

17. About 3 feet of spare fuel line (can be used for repairs or to siphon gas in a pinch).

18. Small flashlight.

19. Washcloth or shop rag.

20. Plastic Gloves.

21. Emergency contact numbers/ Name, address, D.O.B., etc.

22. 800mg Ibuprofen.

23. Also suggest you paint the tools bright yellow – so you can find them in the dirt.