HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nysurfsf

'07 450 Gearing (53/14) Question/Discuss

23 posts in this topic

My buddy also finally settled in on this gearing for his '06 and would like to know if it would work on his '07 as well. Sure it is not track specific but, set up for a tighter track style.

A class rider, in plus 30 class, Dubach pipe. No other mod's to engine other than acc. pump and fuel screw which is constantly adjusted throughout a day's riding of MX only.

Benefits

Shorter chain.

Less chain drag/slap on swingarm.

The little extra snap off bottom "it needed" in 2 and 3. 4th is a rarity at the local track.

No hint of stalling/less clutching in tight corners.

The gearing was suggested to him by Yamaha Factory mechanics at Broome Tioga, as what they use or found to be a ratio option for the '06.

Anyone try this or have experience? The new engine cam supposedly gave a smoother bottom end on the '07 vs. the '06. But with the new exhaust for '07? (Dubach claims the pipe for the 06 and 07 is the same despite this change to the motor? Anyone have an opinion on how this might affect gearing)

Wouldn't it use more chain with larger sprockets? I'm running 13/50 which is comparable ratio wise and I really like it.

14/53 is within 1% of being the exact same ratio as the stock 13/49. You'll have a longer chain, marginally greater weight, more swing arm clearance, and a lighter wallet.

13/50 is now being recomended by motocross action's dec. '06 issue.

they said they tried this (13/50) in '06 but did not like it, but on the '07 they are "totally sold" on the "pumped up 2nd gear and ease of entering 3rd on short straights"

And oh yeah, you are right, the chain would be longer on the 53. thanks for the replies guy's.

Everyone likes something different. MXA likes to gear almost everything lower than stock. They apparently like the way that this brings the gearbox ratios closer together. I, on the other hand, often go the other way, gearing higher to extend the range of each gear farther. On a bike with a good wide power range, it works well, at least for me. Whereas the Wrecking Crew wants to be able to shift 3rd sooner, I can often just avoid the shift altogether. Riding style, speed, track layout and conditions all feed into your gearing choice, and it has to work for you, not me or MXA.

13/50 is now being recomended by motocross action's dec. '06 issue.

they said they tried this (13/50) in '06 but did not like it, but on the '07 they are "totally sold" on the "pumped up 2nd gear and ease of entering 3rd on short straights"

And oh yeah, you are right, the chain would be longer on the 53. thanks for the replies guy's.

I like 13/51 I got 3 of 4 holeshots Sunday on dirt and 1 of 2 last Sunday on concrete.

Love the 13/50 combo... I had to change gears all the time with the stock 13/49. It seems to cut down on that a little. The gearing change seems to make the power more manageable w/o all the gear changing... 2nd or 3rd depending on the corners and 3rd and 4th on the straights... Buy a 50 and switch back and forth… See which you like better....

I tend to agree with gray and don't understand why the trend is towards gearing the bike lower. The 450's have such enormous spread of torque. I just went to a 47 on the rear and it works just great. With this gearing I rarely shift, except between 2nd and 3rd some. I guess by moving up to a 51-53 essentially 1st is gone? I haven't raced my 07 yet, but ran a 14-49 on my crf,stock is 13-48 and always was in front or close on the start.

I tend to agree with gray and don't understand why the trend is towards gearing the bike lower. The 450's have such enormous spread of torque. I just went to a 47 on the rear and it works just great. With this gearing I rarely shift, except between 2nd and 3rd some. I guess by moving up to a 51-53 essentially 1st is gone?

How does the 47 on the rear effect 1st gear? Isn't 1st gear on these bikes pretty high to begin with? I'm switching from a WR450 to an '06 YZ450 and I was told that the YZ 1st is higher then the WR. I ask because I'll be doing some trail riding in addition to track and am trying to figure out the best gearing. I thought of maybe just swapping out a 13 and 14 front to get higher speeds on the trails but was told that the 14 would make 1st to high in the more technical stuff. What would be a good rear sprocket to put on that would work well with a 13 and 14 front? I could then put the 13 on for track and a 14 for trails.

Also, the less shifting I do on the track the better as I'm used to my WR where I can do the whole track in 2nd with only a few sections where I have to shift into 3rd. I know the WR gearing isn't good for tracks so I need to relearn on a MX bike. I was just shocked when I rode my friends 250 2 stroke and had to shift non stop. It made jumping sketchy as I was more focused on shifting then anything else.

This is how the WR tranny works. 1-3rd is a higher ratio than the YZ's, and then 4th and 5th are lower. So a 14 tooth front sprocket on the YZ will make 1st gear an even lower ratio, if anything, you will want to keep the 13 and step up to a 50,51. The top speed achieved on the YZ is very close to the WR's. The main difference being that the YZ will be at a higher rev in 5th than the WR would be. But how often do you cruise down a trail at 70+. Just ride it the way it is, and decide weather you want that lower 1st, or a higher top end.

Thanks for the info. I'm still a little confused though (not surprising as I'm a newbie to dirt bikes) and I think it has to do with not understanding the lingo. I know that the wider ratio of the WR means you don't have to shift as much but what does it mean that the YZ has a lower ratio in first or off the line? By lower my mind thinks slower speed for a given RPM but I was told that the YZ would tend to stall more (or need more clutch) then the WR at slow speeds which is why I thought the YZ had a higher first gear.

It's a common point of confusion. In common terms "low" gears are the ones you start out in and go slower in than in "high gears". The high gears even have higher numbers assigned to them (1st vs. 5th). The confusion sets in when someone starts speaking of them in numerical ratio terms and fails to make that distinction, as bboyce did.

For example, the WR's low gear is around 2.5:1 so it's lower than the YZ's 1.9:1 gear. But the YZ's 1st gear is lower numerically, so both ways of looking at it are correct, as long as everyone agrees on which one they're using.

red7, I live in AZ also, most of the stuff I ride is desert terrain, and the track once in a great while. I have ridden both 06', and now own a 07' YZ450. I have a 5oz flywheel on it, and ride mostly single track. I put a 14 tooth on the front and 50 on the rear, and is awesome. It doesn't like the track as much though. I too came off a WR, but had a 03' YZ prior to this so riding an MX bike again is much better.

Here is the final roll out for the WR, and YZ

WR 450

14/50

YZ 450

13/49

I'm half tempted to just stay quiet and act like I now understand as I may dig myself deeper in the hole of confusion by opening my mouth again but I'll never learn if I don't:bonk: .

I understood how 1st is a lower gear then 5th it's the ratio that throw me off. Ok so the WR's 2.5:1 1st gear is a lower ratio then the YZ's 1.9:1. So the higher the number the lower the ratio.

To put this into real world terms if I'm crawling through a tight section of boulders in 1st on a WR vs a YZ the YZ is going to be the one that is higher geared and wanting to stall more correct? Going back to my original post wouldn't putting a 47 rear sprocket on make it even tougher in tight stuff? I think I'm confusing myself more so I'll just stop and see if someone can straighten me out.

I'm curious why Yamaha would gear the YZ higher (lower ratio) then the WR in 1-3rd gear? I can maybe understand 1st since you rarely use it on the track. What is the best way of getting a more useable YZ 1st gear on the trails without losing top end? Is the trick to put a specific rear sprocket on and then switch from a 13-14 front when you go from track to trail?

Thanks for your patience!

I tend to agree with gray and don't understand why the trend is towards gearing the bike lower. The 450's have such enormous spread of torque. I just went to a 47 on the rear and it works just great. With this gearing I rarely shift, except between 2nd and 3rd some. I guess by moving up to a 51-53 essentially 1st is gone? I haven't raced my 07 yet, but ran a 14-49 on my crf,stock is 13-48 and always was in front or close on the start.

Since I got a 5 speed it allowed me to do the following.

1. Emiminate first gear so you don't have to go past neutral

2. Gear the bike so I could do second gear starts.

3. Tighten up the ratios so you are always in the right gear.

I'm heavier than most of my Yama buddies the skinny ones are using 50 tooth gears.

I rode a RMZ450 the last 2 years. I put a 50 on the rear and it pretty much made it a 1 speed. It would pull 3rd gear starts no problem and even the tightest turns would require no more than a quick stab at the clutch and it would pull it. I NEVER used 1st, and i used 2nd about as much as I used 4th which was hardly ever. I am hoping I can do the same thing with my 07 YZ. I installed a 50. Most of the tracks I race at are tight with very few if any long straights that dont have a jump or 2 to break it up.

To put this into real world terms if I'm crawling through a tight section of boulders in 1st on a WR vs a YZ the YZ is going to be the one that is higher geared and wanting to stall more correct? Going back to my original post wouldn't putting a 47 rear sprocket on make it even tougher in tight stuff?

Yes, and yes, a little bit, in that order.
I'm curious why Yamaha would gear the YZ higher (lower ratio) then the WR in 1-3rd gear? I can maybe understand 1st since you rarely use it on the track. What is the best way of getting a more useable YZ 1st gear on the trails without losing top end? Is the trick to put a specific rear sprocket on and then switch from a 13-14 front when you go from track to trail?

They are each a purpose built bike. The WR is expected to be able to be capable of being ridden at reasonably high speeds over the road, and the turn off and pick its way over fallen logs, all with the same 5 gears. Naturally, this calls for a fairly low 1st, and a fairly tall 5th. The gears in between are then spaced as well as the engineers can figure out how to.

A YZF, OTOH, is a real race bike, made for MX. The choice of gear ratio addresses the need to have a closely spaced ratio set covering a relatively more narrow range of speed.

There is no way to use the final gearing to lower first gear without giving up some top speed, but the two front sprocket scheme is a workable compromise.

Since I got a 5 speed it allowed me to do the following.

1. Emiminate first gear so you don't have to go past neutral

2. Gear the bike so I could do second gear starts.

3. Tighten up the ratios so you are always in the right gear.

I'm heavier than most of my Yama buddies the skinny ones are using 50 tooth gears.

That 50 rear is with the stock 13 front right?