When to retire a tire

Ok, so I run my car tires until they look like slices of baloney. I feel a little more uncomfortable doing that on my bike. When should I replace these

MT21s on my 650? They're looking a little naked on the center with knobs

about 10/32" above the base rubber. Is there still life in 'em or am I risking

my life?

Is a small bit of money worth the small bit of flesh that could possibly be ground awayin a spill caused by a bad tire? If the tire is down to the min wear bars or really close, or you have a serious puncture in the front, weather cracked, out of round, uneven wear, you know the usual problems REPLACE it. JMHO!

If the center is flat and it doesn't transition from straight to corners with a nice smooth roll then I replace. even if the tire otherwise looks ok.

Is a small bit of money worth the small bit of flesh that could possibly be ground awayin a spill caused by a bad tire? If the tire is down to the min wear bars or really close, or you have a serious puncture in the front, weather cracked, out of round, uneven wear, you know the usual problems REPLACE it. JMHO!

There are wear bars on this tire? Yes the center knobs are worn flat and have no rounding at all anymore, and they have only about 3/8" of height now. However they are worn uniformly. I am amazed at how quick these tires have worn out. But they have served well. Again, I'm not concerned about saving a few bucks, just trying to establish baseline criteria for future reference. So we have 3/8" tread and completely flat.

Final Answer: REPLACE. (right?)

It really depends on what you are doing. On the road, I think that it would be fine down to 1/4 inch. Perhaps even 3/16. If it's dry even less. I bet the road traction is best when the knobs are completely gone. The dirt is another story. As the knobs get smaller, the tendency for the tire to break loose and spin goes up. I find that some tires are a lot better worn than others. I really like Dunlop D756's in this reguard. They seem to still get a lot of traction when the knobs are down to 3/8ths.

Ok, so I run my car tires until they look like slices of baloney. I feel a little more uncomfortable doing that on my bike. When should I replace these

MT21s on my 650? They're looking a little naked on the center with knobs

about 10/32" above the base rubber. Is there still life in 'em or am I risking

my life?

I love BOLOGNA.....eat it and enjoy the new rubber:ride:

For any dirt riding, yes--I'd say your tire was done a while ago. In my experience, knobbies need replacing well before the knobs wear away completely in order to maintane acceptable tire performance. Just cuase you can still see knobs doesn't mean the tire still has usable life left it it.

$0.02

BTW, on my XR650R with 50/50 riding, MT21s are done by 1000 miles.

Hey Hawk, Mojave, and everyone-Thanks. I had a gut feeling it was serious time to put them to rest. They are pushing at least 900 mi. No more BOLOGNA for me. Now where's my salami?!! :cheers:

I run mine until the middle knobs are about 1/2 gone.

A fresh tire is well worth the money because it will bite a lot harder, and you'll be faster in the long loamy straight aways, and you'll also be safer, because you know that your tire will stick in corners better.

I run mine until the middle knobs are about 1/2 gone.

A fresh tire is well worth the money because it will bite a lot harder, and you'll be faster in the long loamy straight aways, and you'll also be safer, because you know that your tire will stick in corners better.

Usually the the worn tire will still stick because thats where all the knobs still remain.

If you are riding street or fireroad type stuff, you're just down to a normal dual sport tire. I hate new knobs on the street. Feel like I"m on ice.

If you are riding street or fireroad type stuff, you're just down to a normal dual sport tire. I hate new knobs on the street. Feel like I"m on ice.

Yup them new knobs tend to be a little SPONGY!

Don't despair....you don't have to toss out the remaining life in your tires when you replace them at sensible intervals.

Run 'em down to the rind right before you replace:

http://www.leesperformance.com/pictures/burnout_1.jpg

:cheers: