wr450 backfire on decelaration

first off, what year is your wr? if you have the ais on your bike, it will pop a bit on decel. it's not a lean condition as much as how the ais works. if you don't have the ais ('03-'04), you should consider your jetting. running a 48 pilot jet is a good base line number and should take care of the popping. if you run a 48 and do not have the ais, it will be harder to find. you will be looking for an air leak. make sure the hot start cable is not kinked and not letting the plunger seat.

I have a huge pilot jet on my bike and she still backfires on decel with the fuel screw at anything less then 3 turns out, but then i get alot of black smoke on initial acceleration. can't win them all (without fuel injection)

Try one up on the pilot and one down on the main

first off, what year is your wr? if you have the ais on your bike, it will pop a bit on decel. it's not a lean condition as much as how the ais works. if you don't have the ais ('03-'04), you should consider your jetting. running a 48 pilot jet is a good base line number and should take care of the popping. if you run a 48 and do not have the ais, it will be harder to find. you will be looking for an air leak. make sure the hot start cable is not kinked and not letting the plunger seat.

I agree. Another thing to check for is a clogged up pilot jet. I was running a 48 and early in the year it started popping on decel, running hot, and really surging a constant low throttle speeds.

Being a newbie, I didn't know where to begin. But after many SEARCHES, I kinda narrowed it down to the pilot jet. I pulled it out and ta da, it was clogged up with gunk. Once cleaned out, the bike was back to normal.

P.S. The people here are amazing, but please do a SEARCH before asking any questions. And if you do ask a question, please provide more details about your bike.

Cheers.

Air leaks from as minor a thing as a cracked header can cause back firing. Not sure exactly why but this bike really needs to have a tight exhaust. My dealer cinched the header/exhaust bracket to tight and bent the bracket and hence caused a little leakage. I fixed it and largely reduced backfires.

I do know that carb jetting on a wr450 has little to do with backfires unless you scrap AIS and do the carb mods in "..Performance Mods" thread which effectively reduce backfiring. I have done ALL the mods listed and still have a few backfires. I have a 45 pilot....1-1/2 turns but I'm at 3500 ft.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the float bowl vent tube In the carb bowl or the clear plastic drain tube itself could be clogged not allowing proper venting and creating a lean condition. First loosen the hex drain screw on the bottom of the carb and make sure gas runs out the clear drain tube. It is near the large (17 mm) carb drain. If it does you have to take your float bowl off and blow through the vent tube OUT to make sure it is clear. DON'T blow in or you'll push crap in the carb. All vent tubes should be clear.