Pro Tapers 'n Bark Busters

So...got my new pro-tapers to fit with my scotts triple and damper and now my acerbis bark busters wont fit.....inner diameter of the protapers is too narrow to fit the jamming mechanism down.

Do I need new bark busters or can I buy new inserts that fit the smaller inner diameter ?

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: The Missile ]

Actually, the clamp at the end of the bars is the same, it's the clamp that goes near the triple clamps that is different to accomodate the larger diameter bars. If you work at it, you should be able to get it slip in the ends of the bars.

i think that you're wrong as well!!

let's all have another go and hope we can agree.

the pieces to go up the end of the bars are for either steel or alloy bars. they don't fit 'the missiles' fatbars that means that they were bought to suit a set of standard bars.

so the missile you have a set of steel bar BB's. i had two sets of end fittings for mine so check the package again.

you need the protaper/fatbar fitting kit.

if you got my post about changing the steering damper post from rusty steel to stainless, maybe you can get the clamps bored out as you're a long way from the USA.

Taffy

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Taffy ]

If you are looking for a great pair of guards for Pro Tapers, go to the Cycra website (www.cycra.com) and check out their selection. These are the best guards (Pro Bend) I have ever used. I have yet to bend them and believe me, I have tested them out. The only issue I had was that the small extender piece at the fat part of the bar broke off on a real nasty spill. One out of a 100 crashes.

To remedy that, I ordered extra extender pieces to carry in the fanny pack just in case. Someone also suggested using the solid one piece Moose bar mounts. But I honestly recommend these guards over anything I have used before.

[ December 20, 2001: Message edited by: Dougie ]

That might be right. Mine had a piece of plastic hose that slipped over the knurled piece that fit in the end of the stock bars, but I took that off and it fit right in my protapers. The other clamp that fits down on the bar is too small for the protapers though. I didn't think about them having two sizes for the ends of the bars. I know I had to do some unbending to get them to fit in.

BTW, I've looked at the Cycra and think I'll try them when my Rally Pros bite the dust.

That might be right. Mine had a piece of plastic hose that slipped over the knurled piece that fit in the end of the stock bars, but I took that off and it fit right in my protapers. The other clamp that fits down on the bar is too small for the protapers though. I didn't think about them having two sizes for the ends of the bars. I know I had to do some unbending to get them to fit in.

BTW, I've looked at the Cycra handguard and think I'll try them when my Rally Pros bite the dust.

Dang Dougie, "One out of a 100 crashes"? you need to stay on you bike more! ? I've never tried these but I am curious, how do you fit these if you have an aluminum throttle tube w/a solid end-piece. Does having this guard eliminate the need for an aluminum throttle tube altogether? If you want to keep the tube, do you just modify it by cutting the endcap off? :D

[ December 25, 2001: Message edited by: Herkypilot ]

I'm planning on getting some 1-1/8" handlebars in the future and I've given some thought to how I'm going to mount my bark busters when the time comes. I've got 7/8" aluminum Renthals right now, so the bar end part of the mount should still work on the bigger bars. The inner mounts will have to be replaced. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to mount the inner part is with triple-clamp mount like in this picture: clampmount_500.jpg

They cost $52.95 a pair and I think that's about the same price as a standard-type bar mount.

I have the same bars and Acerbis bark busters with the same problem. The ends fit fine, and if you are not bothered too much by the looks, take a file and file down the inner edge of the clamp and cramp it down around the pro tapers with a pair of mole grips. It works fine and will save you a few quid.

John (new WR400 owner)