YZ450F Newbie Lesson #2- the air filter

YZ450F Newbie Lesson #1 was the fouled plug (see other thread, still on this page as of today).

YZ450F Newbie Lesson #2 is this: never use gas to clean the stock air filter. I normally DON'T use gas, but... ? I wanted to get the Maxima oil out of the filter and I have nearly 4 gallons of pre-mix left-over from my dearly departed KX, KDX, and KTM so I thought I'd be efficient and use the pre-mix to clean the filter. So I did. Then while cleaning the gas out with hot soapy water, the filter literally and absolutely disinegrated in my hands. Wow. In nearly 30 years of dirt biking I've never had that happen. Fortunately, UPS showed up about 30 minutes later with the new Twin Air filter I'd ordered and I lubed it up with NoToil and problem solved.

The stock air filter looked very Uni-like and NoToil says "nyet" on using their oil with Uni, so I was wondering if anyone uses NoToil with the stock air filter?

I also just changed my oil for the first time and installed a stainless filter. So far, so good. Back down to the barn now to install fork bleeders, air screw, new tire, new chain....:cheers:

Gas is a bad choice for any cleaning tasks. Besides being rather outrageously flammable and dangerous, may of the current additives are very toxic. MTBE, for example, will penetrate your skin with fairly brief exposure. The fumes are unhealthy, too.

Ordinary hardware store Mineral Spirits, or real shop solvent are far better choices, and won't attack you or your parts with the same verve that gas will.

BTW, mineral spirits removes Maxima FFT quite easily.

Gas is a bad choice for any cleaning tasks.

Understand! I don't normally use gas. In fact the last time I used gas was...years ago.

Didn't know that about mineral spirits. In fact, I didn't know that gold, iron, potassium, and etc. even HAD souls! ? Live and learn, I guess.... :cheers:

Gas is a bad choice for any cleaning tasks. Besides being rather outrageously flammable and dangerous, may of the current additives are very toxic. MTBE, for example, will penetrate your skin with fairly brief exposure. The fumes are unhealthy, too.

Ordinary hardware store Mineral Spirits, or real shop solvent are far better choices, and won't attack you or your parts with the same verve that gas will.

I totally agree....never use Gas to clean these filters.....gas will cause the glue to break down in all filter brands. Also it is well documented that almost every bike that has caught on fire is due to using gas to clean filters and a little backfire from carb...and boom, up in smoke.

I use Kerosene exclusively and rinse out the filter with warm soapy water afterwards and I have years of use on my filters.

Good luck with No Toil......I have had no good luck using it...I use Belray Filter oil

I use Kerosene exclusively and rinse out the filter with warm soapy water afterwards and I have years of use on my filters.

Good luck with No Toil......I have had no good luck using it...I use Belray Filter oil

I normally do use kerosene but I wanted something a little more agressive to get the Maxima out. But, I mean, this filter just fell apart. I was washing it in the soapy water and, just like Isaiah, it just came "undone".

What problems have you had with No Toil? I used it for several months in the KX125 and it was great. Trapped a lot of dirt and cleaned out beautifully every time.

I believe "NYET" is Russian for the word "no".

What's this about no toil and Uni? I'm gulping hard as just put a uni in with no toil on it. I'm manly enough to not read the directions and didn't notice anything about it. Already threw the package away, too. DOH!

Jeff

What's this about no toil and Uni? I'm gulping hard as just put a uni in with no toil on it.

SOME people have had problems with the combination:

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=139235

I THINK Uni might've changed their glue recently, too. Just keep an eye on it. If you clean the filter frequently and don't oil it until you're about ready to go, I bet you'll be fine. Just guessing, but I'd guess that people who have problems might leave oil in the filter for a longer period of time. I pretty much change filters after every ride and don't re-oil the clean filter until the day before I ride. So basically--Sunday- ride. Monday- clean filter #1 and let hang dry. Tues- oil and install filter #2. Weds, ride. Thurs, clean #2 and let hang dry. Friday night, oil #1 and install. Sunday, repeat.

"Nyet" was a popular word back in...umm...the late 80's? Sort of the precursor to "Hey man, that's cool. NOT!!" I'm sorry I'm not up on today's lingo- what's the cool word these days? Nyet was also an amusing video game where you dropped shaped blocks so that they formed a solid wall which then dropped down. I was pretty good at it.

You have to use gas. It makes an excellent weed killer for th estubborn ones that grow in the cracks of the driveway........OK, I dont do that anymor eeither.

I have been using the coleman camp fuel sold at wal mart. It does a good job and the cost is about 4 bucks a gallon. One gallon lasts an entire year. Then you use it for the weeds...