WR/YZ 450 Suspension

Is there any difference between the forks and shock on a 2004 YZ450 and a 2004 WR450? I ask because I just found a complete set of 04 YZ450 supermoto suspension set up by MX Tech that I want to put on my WR450 supermoto conversion. I'm hoping I just need some YZ wheel spacers in the front and everything else will just mount up. Can anybody tell me definitively?

Thanks,

Chris

In case anybody is wondering, there's no difference. The YZ suspension mounts up exactly the same.

-C

i hope you used the yz triples because in 04 the wr's were 46's and the yz's were 48's. if you jammed the 48's into the 46 triples they will bind and cause some nastiness internally:ride:

i hope you used the yz triples because in 04 the wr's were 46's and the yz's were 48's. if you jammed the 48's into the 46 triples they will bind and cause some nastiness internally:ride:

You're right, I checked the specs and the WR's inner fork tubes are 46's, but as far as I can tell, the external tubes are the same diameter because they slid in just as easily as the old ones slid out. As long as I torque the pinch bolts correctly, it shouldn't be an issue anyway. I sent an e-mail to MX-Tech to confirm, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

-C

...but as far as I can tell, the external tubes are the same diameter because they slid in just as easily as the old ones slid out.
That's why I questioned it. I had a top clamp for an '05 WR that I wanted to use on my '04. I mic'd it and, lo and behold, same size. So I used it. Been on there over a year and a half and no problems.:cheers:

That's why I questioned it. I had a top clamp for an '05 WR that I wanted to use on my '04. I mic'd it and, lo and behold, same size. So I used it. Been on there over a year and a half and no problems.:cheers:

the bottom clamp matters more, and even though the top clamp may have mic'd out the same open, its the the dimension that they close to when tight. if the clamp is designed to close on a specific size tube and then you tighten onto a larger tube than it is designed to fit it'll tighten the tube into a oblong shape(not good) ..the other way its out of round also; trying to fit a smaller dia tube in a larger clamp is also out of round and applies uneven pressure,which in turn can cause binding. this would be much more critical with the bottom clamp because there is no internal support like the top (fork caps) now...these are the things i know for sure; the 04 yz had 48mm cartridge forks,the 04 wr had 46's. how that relates to the outer dia of the tube i'm not sure....but the 05 twin chamber 48 mm yz clamps ARE larger than the ones for the 46's(i measured mine) also, when you order a set aftermarket they fit 04-05 yz's. this all tells me that the 04 yz clamp is larger than the 04 wr clamp(which is the same as the 03 yz),and even though they may fit it doesn't mean they're right. the 04-5 yz clamp would be correct for wysiwyg,not the 04 wr clamps.

Well, thanks for everybody's help, but I'm a moron. I'm not sure why I thought these forks were from a 2004 YZ. They're actually from a 2003. So that's why they mounted up perfectly. At least I learned something new.

Thanks again.

-C