HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LandSharkGT

Dual 8" Light Kit?????

9 posts in this topic

How much current(Amps) are these Dual 8" light kits going to draw off the light system? Will changing all my other bulbs to LED's help as the LED's draw way far less current, such as tail light turn signals. Or will I need to use a rewound stator for my 84' XL600R? And are any of these kits designed to have Hi/Lo beam set up?

I borrowed this picture so we would all be on the same page for the question at hand.

duallightkit.jpg

The total current (amperage) is a function of the wattage of the bulbs installed in the lights. If they're twin 55's, divide 110 by 12.5 and that will give you your number. If twin 100's, use 200 instead of 110 to get your number. Your XL600 can probably pull twin 55's but with some dimming at low RPM's.

The lights in the picture you posted are 6" Piaa 's that use H3 single-filament bulbs. They won't work as a high/low beam.

Man, they shoulda put a helmet on that chick in the photo. What a butterface!

Actually, you can wire those ricky stator lights as a high and a low, even put a 55w in one, a 100~130 in the other. Now on the amperage, I think the XL600R had a 185 watt stator, that is plenty to run these lights in 55/55 watt mode and youll be happier than crap with the output. I am going to these and a 200w stator on my Supermoto. It is a 1996 XR600R, plated and sumoed out.

1 person likes this

Oh, and yeah your right about Goatchick in the picture. I hope she looks better in person. Hell, I'm totally hot and look like crap in pictures, or maybe Im not hot and look like crap in pictures....oh well.

Man, they shoulda put a helmet on that chick in the photo. What a butterface!

I heard a new one the other day.... sceptor head.

Moleculo......sounds like a scientific superhero.

Actually, you can wire those ricky stator lights as a high and a low, even put a 55w in one, a 100~130 in the other. Now on the amperage, I think the XL600R had a 185 watt stator, that is plenty to run these lights in 55/55 watt mode and youll be happier than crap with the output. I am going to these and a 200w stator on my Supermoto. It is a 1996 XR600R, plated and sumoed out.

Sure, you could switch them to burn one light or the other or switch them to burn one light or both. Problem is that there are no DOT cutoffs in either light so even a 55W bulb would be highly annoying to oncoming traffic - especially at night. Being that these lights don't have a quick-adjust knob on the top, pointing them down quickly while riding would be difficult. To adapt true high/low bulbs (H4s) to these lights would be impossible without modifying the bulb bases - even then the focal points would probably be wrong.

Also, the 83-87 XL600's come with dual-output stators that are good for a little over 100W per output. One output powers the stock headlight on its own AC circuit, the other output charges the battery and powers the remainder of the accesories. If he were to power both lights off the AC circuit, then twin 55's would be as high he could go. If he were to use the DC side to power one of the two lights, battery charging capability would diminish significantly (depending on bulb size.)

I don't know about you, but I won't knock her down. She's a LOT skinnier than I am!!! Plus if you add my nose that has been broken multiple times and all the road rash I've gotten, well, let's just not go there. I try not to berate anyone that would constitute a one sitting meal for me if I cooked them. As a pot, I try not to call the kettle black.

If you would like a dual light setup like that is DOT legal, go down to your local Honda dealer and order the whole assembly for a Ruckus scooter. The Ruckus lights have a nifty little metal cage around them like the ones in the picture (well kind of, I don't think it's quite as robust) and are equipped with H-4 bulbs. I think they are 6in diameter lights on the Ruckus (50cc). I'm not sure if the lights on the Big Ruckus (250cc) are larger or not, but I know that they are a little different. Follow the link to see some pics of the "wonderful" Ruckus. You have to scroll a little ways down the page to see the light assemblies a little better. And some of the scooter people are not all there, but I'm guessing that we all new this already.

http://www.battlescooter.com/6928.html

Those little things are somewhat entertaining. They'd be alot more fun with an 88cc motor, a Dr. D pipe, and nitrous (you could put the tank under the seat!).

1 person likes this