HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Agent2

How Loud

9 posts in this topic

Anyone know how loud a xr650r is in db's - uncorked, stock exhaust with drilled out tip? I remember seeing it on a website, but can't find it.

Mine with a shortened stock can and the drilled out stock tip is between 97-98db on a 'probably-not-quite-right' Radio Shack db meter, using a Husquvarna chain saw tach at 4500rpm. HRC tip on this same meter was at 99db. My old WB R-4 was at close to 104db. My snowmobile, sitting on its metal decked trailer, pegged the meter out at 120db by 5000 rpm. So take these values for what there worth: i.e. you can compare them, but they won't hold up in a court of law (or a rangers ears).

In all honesty, even the drilled out stock tip is too loud when you get it past 1/3 throttle.

I have the HRC tip (The baffle/tip that comes with the Honda Un-Corking kit as I recall???) on a stock pipe and tested 96.5 dbA at 3250 RPM in the field. According to the tester. ALMOST legal for Southern Cal standards.

I have the HRC tip (The baffle/tip that comes with the Honda Un-Corking kit as I recall???) on a stock pipe and tested 96.5 dbA at 3250 RPM in the field. According to the tester. ALMOST legal for Southern Cal standards.

That sounds about right since I tested mine at a higher RPM (4500 vs. 3250). Using some header wrap may be able to get you the half db to be legal, but I think that stuff is somewhat of a pain to use.

Agent. My XR is set up as you described. I've had it tested 3 times and it's tested at 94-95dbs.

See I was right, about the 94-98db range. I see that 96db seems to be tha magic number so I would try out som aftermarket pipes as the weight reduction is great and performance factor is even better, but most of all you can repack some of these pipes better than the way it was sent out to you for the sound dept. test then do as you please at your own risk.