HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ausgeflippt13

2 Q's: WR400f cdi; great headlight for the $

7 posts in this topic

Howdy y'all -

I've tried searching (maybe I'm simply retarded b/c I'm sure there's something on this somewhere), but nothing's come up.

I've got two questions, the first of which is more pertinent.

1) I've got a YZ400f that had an exploded motor. So, I was able to obtain myself a WR bottom end, so essentially I've got a WR motor in my YZ. Unfortunately, I'm not getting spark.

My question is simple: do I need to switch to a wr cdi, given that I'm running the wr neutral switch and cdi sensor? The motor's currently plugged into my yz cdi and I'm not getting any spark. I'd like for the answer to be that my cdi is simply the wrong one before troubleshooting the rest of the system...

I've called numerous dealers here in AZ and nobody's given me a straight answer, although it seems like the respective cdi's could very well be different.

2) My second question is simple: I'm putting a headlight on the yz, but I was hoping for some advice as to which ones out there (a) put out the most power, (:mad: have a "high-" and "low beam" (spot and flood, etc), and © are light on the wallet. I will be driving this on the street but we don't need DOT approved anything here in AZ. Just something bright.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :mad:

"bike bandit" show the units to be different between yzf and wr's. No idea what, but the oe numbers are different. I love their online catalogs for stuff like that. They have oe type catalogs you can check for diff's.

Thanks; I, too saw that the numbers were different, but I was afraid that it was a chinsy (sp?) way of making the same cdi look unique for each bike...

One of the mechanics around here was able to look up the wiring schematic for the cdi and found that one of the wires for the yz was rated at something like 550 ohms, whereas the same wire for the wr was rated at only 50-something...This is a large difference in resistance; I was hoping for some more input as to whether this was merely a typo (although unlikely) or is, in fact, the case...? :mad:

Thanks

i hear ya, would like to know how that turns out. I checked out your web page and the cars are way cool. I have a 99 yz400f and the thought of a wr motor sounds great in it. btw what you got against porsche ?????

besides.... to high, to hard to work on,to much maint, to many options.

I got to go on a ride and drive in 1994. they had one of every option for that year. pretty cool deal.

good luck

jay

You will need the cdi and wiring harness from the new engine. I had the same issue but in reverse. I had a wr and put in a yz engine. no spark until I changed over the wiring harness and cdi. started 1st kick and then I re-jetted. I prefer the yz tranny HANDS DOWN!! I did put a 13 tooth up front and a 50 tooth on the rear just to gear it down a bit for the tight stuff I like to ride in.Have fun!:mad:

Howdy y'all -

I've tried searching (maybe I'm simply retarded b/c I'm sure there's something on this somewhere), but nothing's come up.

I've got two questions, the first of which is more pertinent.

1) I've got a YZ400f that had an exploded motor. So, I was able to obtain myself a WR bottom end, so essentially I've got a WR motor in my YZ. Unfortunately, I'm not getting spark.

My question is simple: do I need to switch to a wr cdi, given that I'm running the wr neutral switch and cdi sensor? The motor's currently plugged into my yz cdi and I'm not getting any spark. I'd like for the answer to be that my cdi is simply the wrong one before troubleshooting the rest of the system...

I've called numerous dealers here in AZ and nobody's given me a straight answer, although it seems like the respective cdi's could very well be different.

2) My second question is simple: I'm putting a headlight on the yz, but I was hoping for some advice as to which ones out there (a) put out the most power, (:mad: have a "high-" and "low beam" (spot and flood, etc), and © are light on the wallet. I will be driving this on the street but we don't need DOT approved anything here in AZ. Just something bright.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :mad:

i hear ya, would like to know how that turns out. I checked out your web page and the cars are way cool. I have a 99 yz400f and the thought of a wr motor sounds great in it. btw what you got against porsche ?????

besides.... to high, to hard to work on,to much maint, to many options.

I got to go on a ride and drive in 1994. they had one of every option for that year. pretty cool deal.

good luck

jay

Haha I assume you're referring to my post in another thread. I actually phrased it wrong; on the contrary - I love porsches! I had meant to imply that if you were to ask me about whether to by a vette or a porsche, I'd def go with the porsche, despite being unreliable past 60k miles, funky electronics, everything backwards from the rest of the automobile world, and being significantly more expensive than a vette (not Z06)... :mad:

My girlfriend's dad's got an '04 boxster s (I autox it...it's awesome) and an 80-something 911 that's being converted into an scca solo I track car. They're so much fun, and I'm really big on having something not many people have, so porsches satisfy that niche quite well.

There's a guy here in Tucson (member of the PCA) who's buddy (some big Porsche America exec) owned an original 959 and brought it to phoenix for some scca...jesus christ that car is amazing. He gave me a ride in it 'round the track and since then every other car has been deemed inferior (aside from lambo and ferrari o' course...).

So yeah I'm a fan.

Thanks thanks thanks for the help; I'll get right to ordering a new cdi.

As for headlights, tho, any suggestions?

sweet.... not to turn this into a car post...... the ride and drive had one of each of that year. c2's c4's 928 928gt 944 944s2 and a turbo. very impressive. I work at a gm dealership and we had a guy try to trade in a 928 and i would have owned it, but the guy backed out. Fastest i have been is was a grey mkt slant w/twin turbo..... oh my...... We had a customer in about 6 mo ago with a pre-a 356 that was out of this world. We have no porsche dealer anywhere close to us now, I was lucky very neat deal.

good luck on the wr/yzf.

jay