HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
builttospill6262

426???

8 posts in this topic

im about to get a new bike and i am thinking about a 00 426 because its only 2200 but i could also get a 03 cr250r for the same price

or i could get a 04 rmz250 for 3200 so what do you guys think

i want to go 4 stroke and 3200 is kinda alot for me so i was thinking the 426:excuseme: is it ballzy any flaws i need some info on it

o and what would it take to make it road legal? in ny if possible

im about to get a new bike and i am thinking about a 00 426 because its only 2200 but i could also get a 03 cr250r for the same price

or i could get a 04 rmz250 for 3200 so what do you guys think

i want to go 4 stroke and 3200 is kinda alot for me so i was thinking the 426:excuseme: is it ballzy any flaws i need some info on it

o and what would it take to make it road legal? in ny if possible

I have an 00 426 and it has been rock solid. Great reliability power and versatile bike. Your choice between the CR for the same price should be condition and shape of each bike. Both are good bikes with the CR having better stock suspension & handling but much less motor. That comes down to your intent and riding preference such as trails, fun, racing MX, etc. I would actually try to get the price down on both the YZ and the CR and go with what you can get for the best price versus best shape. Even though the YZ is a 4-Stroke, I wouldn't recommend street legal although others have done it. Can't really comment on the RMZ but sounds out of your price range anyway.

-RCD

My son has a 00 426 and so far it has been a very dependable bike, just routine maintience .This bike has LOTS of power, you need some experience for this bike!!!!!!!!!

I've ridden 2-strokes and 4-strokes and prefer the 4's hands down. The way the power is delivered makes the most difference for me. 2-strokes make the most power in the upper part of their rpm range and it comes on radically. 4-strokes are more mellow, more predictable and therefore more controllable. Where this is most important, to me, is on trails. 4-strokes pull hard all over their rpm range without having to be wound up so high. Taking a 2-stroke on tight trails is a last resort for me.

I love my 02 426. Whether I want to ride the local trails or hit the track, the bike's well suited for both. I haven't had any trouble with it and only have to do regular maintenance. It pulls hard but is very predictable and very easy to ride.

No matter which bike you decide on, before you buy, look it over carefully. How the previous owner maintained it will really make the difference. If you're not really confident with your ability to check it out, take someone with you who is.

Good luck and best wishes:thumbsup:

i love my '00 426. It is great in sand dunes, and a friend of mine has one similar to mine and usues it solely for trail riding. both are pretty much stock and yet fairly versitle. The only bike i'd trade my for would be a WR 450 or similar because i love the wide range tranny.

I don't think you'd be disapointed

For me I like the smokers (2000 YZ250) for the woods. Does fine off the pipe, and can get a wheelie at just off idle in 1rst with only throttle.

For the track, I like the 4 strokes.

Just so you know, the 03 and up CR250s uses a "case reed valve" set up and is less torqey than the earlier 250s. Most of the Honda guys don't seem to like that motor very well.

For a little more than what you are willing to pay for, either the Honda or the Yamaha , you can get an 03 yz450f.

Take you time and look around and find a good deal. This is the buyers time of year.

426s are bulletproof bikes. Keep clean oil and a clean filter and they'll last for years on end.

I have a smoker 250 (RM) in addition to my 426 and if I had to pick just one it would be the 426 hands down. They are very versatile and the 426 is a bulletproof bike when maintained properly just like Zique says.