Pipes that are quieter than stock?

I read thru the archives but didn't see a direct answer to this question and that is, will an FMF Q2 or a Dr. D with quiet insert be quieter than stock or just quieter than your average after-market pipe?

What IS the db of the stock YZ450F pipe? '04 specifically....

Thanks,

Maybe nobody knows. Ever think of that? :mad:

Most likely a question of how loud the stock one was. :mad:

I just automatically assumed you guys just knew it all! :mad:

I've googled for a db rating on the stock pipe and am coming up blank. Lots of db rating on aftermarket pipes, of course, but so far nothing on the stock YZF pipe.

Oh well, not a big deal. I'll just stick with stock for now.

And BTW Mr. Grayracer, I took your advice and ordered me-self one of them Regina O-ring chains. Also took the advice of Mr. Search Engine and am replacing the stock front tire. Stuff's in the mail (along with a fuel screw, couple of ASV levers, fork bleeder valves, stainless oil filter, Twin Air, and some other small stuff). Haven't made up my mind on the oil yet- will probably use the 2 quarts of Yamalube I have on the shelf first, then check out either Shell Rotella or Mobil 1. I know you're a big fan of Amsoil.

don't waste the money on the power flow kit or a screenless cage. There's no real benefit to it, and no proof that there is.

OK. I was cleaning the stock filter for the first time yesterday and was wondering about a screenless cage. The bike really runs plenty good for me for now so my modifications will be focusing on handling rather than engine.

I bought a FMF Q2 and have about 15 hours on it and so far I've not had to repack it. It IS much, much quieter than stock..believe me! I also dont have any issues with it's performance.

I have a track on my property and for the sake of keeping my neighbors happy, I wish all my riding buddies had a Q2.

The current issue of Dirt Rider tests a whole bunch of 'quiet' exhausts. I don't know offhand the stock decible level of the '03-'05 450's but I can tell you that my '02 426 with stock exhaust and a PMB spark arrestor endcap tests out at 95.7 db.

I think that the powerbomb-type headers quiet the bike down a little bit also.