Insane deer hunter planting booby traps on bike trails

went riding yesterday(public land) and saw small metal cable snares all along single track bike trail for several miles. Became very apparant WE were being hunted when someone got thier boot caught in one of these snares and was ripped off their bike! The snares were set footpeg height and very hard to see until it was too late. These snares were anchored in the ground so good we had to cut the wires to get loose. I'm in my 30's and have never seen anything like this before, has anyone else? I'm hope this piece of :mad: eats a rabid deer and dies!:mad:

Back about 25 years ago in Wisconsin something like your story happened, but with much worse results. Someone, deer hunters or the land owner, got sick of snow mobiles riding the fire roads cut threw the wooded areas. They strung up a cable about neck high for a person riding a snow mobile. You guessed it, the next one that came along got decapitated. The authorities never did solve that case as far as I know. The land owner was taken in for questioning, and many of the locals thought he did it, but they couldn't prove it. Those fire roads were fun to ride, on both motorcycles and snow mobiles. I rode many a mile on both. But the riding ended real quick after that. Some guys with sleds mounted fence cutters. It's a vee shaped contraption that will slice threw a fence wire if you hit one without seeing it. They kept riding, but most stayed clear. Fortunately, it never happened again, that I know of anyhow.

We encountered an instance in NW WI where a landowner did not apprecciate the fact that the OHV trail ran along the roadway in front of his property, so he pounded T-posts in the ground so that they were only sticking up 2 foot or so. We encountered these and informed the WI DNR, who didn't take this lightly, and not only made him remove the posts immediately, but filed several charges against him.

You do have to remember that many states have laws restricting motorized recreation on public lands during the firearm hunting season. I figure they get 1-2 weeks per year, I get the rest of it. Doesn't make what this snare builder did right, though.

I am a deer hunter, my bike is in storage for the off season.

I hunt on my own 50 acers and I would never do anything like that, even to trespassers on my land let alone public land. I imagine it would be pretty easy to find who did it. I doubt the law would treat this guy like he should.

I am not sure what I would do, probably test the limits of whats legal. This guy should be crippled like he is trying to do to others with the snares.

We encountered an instance in NW WI where a landowner did not apprecciate the fact that the OHV trail ran along the roadway in front of his property, so he pounded T-posts in the ground so that they were only sticking up 2 foot or so. We encountered these and informed the WI DNR, who didn't take this lightly, and not only made him remove the posts immediately, but filed several charges against him.

You do have to remember that many states have laws restricting motorized recreation on public lands during the firearm hunting season. I figure they get 1-2 weeks per year, I get the rest of it. Doesn't make what this snare builder did right, though.

Actually in Ohio the deer bow season starts in late September and runs to early February. I am not letting them have the woods for four months.

However I do think it would be quite stupid to go trail riding during the short gun season.

Here in Western NC my brother and I were riding last year on some private land that some older people from FL. own. We had permission from these owners to ride on there as well. Alot of hunters use it to grouse hunt on because of the old logging roads.

Anyway we were riding along and my brother came to a quick stop!! His 4 wheeler was sliding all over the place. We stopped and looked at his front tire and noticed a stick about 4 inches in diameter sticking out of it.

When we pulled it out you could tell someone had sharpened it to a spear.

Thought that was pretty lame though!!

Went riding once a couple years ago with a total of five bikes and one four wheeler, all limped back to the trucks with a total of nine flats from some square head roofing nails that someone had thrown all over the trails.

A friend of mine lives by some woods in NC where someone strung a wire across the trail and decapitated a little kid, on his first ride on his new four wheeler that he had just got for his birthday.

I have no problem sharing the woods with the hunters. They're as much entitled to the land as anyone else. And they get the short part of the year anyway.

The fewer people that we riders piss off, the longer we'll have places to ride.

We used to ride trails around my house when I was young. The guy (local toughguy bully type) that built and maintained them didn't want people riding "his" trails (state owned land). He told everyone that he tied wire neck high in several spots and only he knew where. Though he was probably all talk, we never rode them again!

He's in jail now so maybe was crazy enough to really do that!

To this day, I still keep an eye out when riding trails that someone may not want me on!

Went riding once a couple years ago with a total of five bikes and one four wheeler, all limped back to the trucks with a total of nine flats from some square head roofing nails that someone had thrown all over the trails.

A friend of mine lives by some woods in NC where someone strung a wire across the trail and decapitated a little kid, on his first ride on his new four wheeler that he had just got for his birthday.

I have no problem sharing the woods with the hunters. They're as much entitled to the land as anyone else. And they get the short part of the year anyway.

The fewer people that we riders piss off, the longer we'll have places to ride.

I think I knew that kid. He was In my TKD class.

We think if this guy is nuts enough to have went this far who's to say he won't take a shot at someone. We are thoughtful of hunters enough so that we rode in the middle of the afternoon instead of early morning like we usually do. I'd love to catch this :mad: planting his traps.:mad:

It may not have been hunters, there a lot of drug thugs out there that use federal and state land to grow and make there drugs because of the hard to find revines and thickets.

This is true, I have seen more than once the remnants of pot plants in the middle of the woods. Ususally during hunting season when the growing season is over.

Man I guess there are psychos everywhere. In the SLV where I live, there is a crazy guy that lives next to an old burned out abandoned house up by two stone couries up behind my house, and back in the day me and my brother would take our Suzuki Rm 80 and Yamaha TR100 up there and there were spikes burried in the sand as some of you have mentioned, but then there were little bear like traps that one year got our dog. We went to the athorities about it, and they sent a 5-0 up there, and he was fired at. So yea. Take it easy guys! No need in anyone getting removed by some ass with a problem :mad:

hunt them down and kill them

Duude... chill, the guys got issues, it's not his fault, nobody got hurt too bad, cultivate a more sanguine perspective. Put yourself in his shoes: he was almost certainly abused by his mother's pimp's priest and just needed to vent a bit. Maybe we could pass the hat around and buy the guy a bigger gun. We should invite him to sit down and talk about his problems and how we can help. In fact I'd volunteer to go find him in the woods and try to set up a counceling session....

Then kill the arsehole. Why waste everyones time hunting the bastard, minimum effort to clean 'em outa the gene pool's all that's required.