HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NuckingFuts

Simple Q for those who'v resprung forks

12 posts in this topic

After getting your forks serviced (resprung/valved) did you notice that your seals were more prone to leaking?

My forks have NEVER leaked in the first 800 miles of its life. I get them respung/valved and now they've leaked twice in the last month. Service guy says its just dirt/sand in the seals and to just do the film clean trick but the sudden hi-frequency of leaks has me thinkin' otherwise.

Thoughts?

i just got mine done and haven't seen any leaks. do you bleed the air out of your forks after riding?

when a fork seal "blows", leaks it isnt an on and then off thing.

if they are blown then they will barf out all the oil down on to your hub and brakes......

Seals are easily replaced if you are worried about them.

Neither of my bikes have "blown" seals (both have been revalved and resprung), but I run seal savers to keep crap out of them. I think they work quite well, where as others hate them. Personal choice I guess.

A bit of oil leaking is not necessarily a bad thing. Just clean them out. How much of a leak are we talking about? As Simon says, a blown seal will really spew out it's oil.

Seals are easily replaced if you are worried about them.

Neither of my bikes have "blown" seals (both have been revalved and resprung), but I run seal savers to keep crap out of them. I think they work quite well, where as others hate them. Personal choice I guess.

A bit of oil leaking is not necessarily a bad thing. Just clean them out. How much of a leak are we talking about? As Simon says, a blown seal will really spew out it's oil.

If I left the last leak alone then it probably would have slowly drained all the oil out. By the time I caught it ~5cc's had drained all over the bike.

Check the correct procedure was followed when fitting the front wheel , your lower fork legs may be a little twisted.

I agree with Shrek. Sounds like the forks are slightly out of alignment

Forks are heading back to the shop tomorrow for new seals (free of charge).

BTW, Im positive the bike was properly assembled.

Forks are heading back to the shop tomorrow for new seals (free of charge).

BTW, Im positive the bike was properly assembled.

I had Race Tech revalve/respring the forks on my WR at about 200 miles. 20 months and over 2000 miles later, still no leaks. And I race MX with my WR. One proactive thing I do regularly is to pull down the wiper seal and pack the cavity with Bel-Ray waterproof grease every so often. This keeps the grit and powerwasher spray out.:mad:

One proactive thing I do regularly is to pull down the wiper seal and pack the cavity with Bel-Ray waterproof grease every so often. This keeps the grit and powerwasher spray out.:mad:

That is one good idea :mad: , another is to cut a strip of sponge, soak it in oil, and wrap it arould the fork tube between the dust seal and oil seal just like you say!