HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phattaxman

WR450 Won't Start

8 posts in this topic

I have an '06 WR450F with no mods. I rode it most of the winter and all spring. Circumstance prevented me from riding during the summer. (Last time out was in June.) I certainly didn't plan on letting it sit, unused, for 4 or 5 months, but it happened.

Now, it won't start.:mad: The starter cranks it over, but it shows no signs of wanting to start.

The tank has plenty of gas and I've tried the petcock in both "on" and "res" positions.

Before I get hosed by a mechanic, does anyone have any ideas of what the problem might be?

Thanks.

If the starter cranks it you atleast have power. If I was a betting man I would say your carb is dirty or the fuel is lacquered up in it. I would clean out the carb and check the plug.

I would try to just drain the float bowl and then try to start it- I left mine for about the same amount of time- I drained my bowl, turned on the fuel- and it started right up- But if it won't start after doing that- Boer is right on the money- clean the carb, change the plug, and put new fuel in her- she should start right up

You also may try the kickstarter if not allready. When mine is cold or has not been started for a while the E-start is useless. I only use it for hotstarts.

You also may try the kickstarter if not allready. When mine is cold or has not been started for a while the E-start is useless. I only use it for hotstarts.

I agree. When it gets a little cooler out, the E-start will turn it over but not fast enough. So on my bike, if the E-start doesn't get it fired, it will usually go with one or two kicks.

That is the extent of my expertise, so I'll defer further troubleshooting to the experts.

Best of luck.

If the starter cranks it you atleast have power. If I was a betting man I would say your carb is dirty or the fuel is lacquered up in it. I would clean out the carb and check the plug.

This is the probable remedy.