HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nummie

Electric start for XL600R

18 posts in this topic

Anyone been sucessfull adding an electric start to an XL600R from an XR650L ?

I've been considering this mod and remember reading a discussion

somewhere around here about a dude that did such a mod to his XR600,

but havn't been able to find it.

Any suggestions besides buying an XR650L ?

There is no kit available for the XL600R motor. The only way is to get an XR650L motor and make it work. That could be costly.:mad:

So far cost total is about $450.00 for all the OEM XR650L Estart parts. Starter clutch, starter, harness, relay, switch, Stator cover, Gear reduction set, misc small items.

starting the old xl's isn,t too hard if you follow the drill of A) if it is dropped DRAIN THe CARBS before you start kicking.:mad: Warm it up when it is a cold day I use a 1500 Watt radiant heater on the engine case for 10 Mins.c) always use the decompressor to get the the piston TDC before you give it a great bug kick

Once again, this would be for those of us that have disabilities with the right knee or would just like the ease of magic button.

So far cost total is about $450.00 for all the OEM XR650L Estart parts. Starter clutch, starter, harness, relay, switch, Stator cover, Gear reduction set, misc small items.

I stand corrected. We all learn new things here at TT.:mad:

I would say think seriously about dropping in an XRL engine- that might be a bit easier.

Find a used one, bump up the compression ratio a little, get a nice cam in there...

Dave

Cheap way, a 9v battery and a 1 pound weight in your right boot. I don't miss an E start on either of my XR600Rs.

Newbie here, and looking at a XL600R to buy. What voltage battery is standard on these bikes?

I just picked up an '85 xl600r and she doesn't like the -10 Ontario weather. Not sure if the battery needs replace ? The wood stove sure helps to warm her up! Can't wait until all this mud thaws out next month. I've got a shattered knee cap but rding kills the pain :)