Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
racer1735

XL600R air box mod

4 posts in this topic

I have an '83 bone-stock XL600R (well, bone stock except for an aftermarket air filter), and am curious about pulling the snorkel off the top of the airbox. Will I have to re-jet the carbs after doing this? The bike runs very good right now, but I'm always looking for a bit more oomph.

I have an '83 bone-stock XL600R (well, bone stock except for an aftermarket air filter), and am curious about pulling the snorkel off the top of the airbox. Will I have to re-jet the carbs after doing this? The bike runs very good right now, but I'm always looking for a bit more oomph.

You can take the snorkle out. It will lean it out a small amount. You should be OK without changing the jetting. If you change the exhaust too, then it will need changes. It really depends on the altitude you ride at. Pretty much every bike comes jetted on the lean side.

I'm pretty much at sea-level (400 feet + or - a few feet). Stock exhaust with no plans to change in the near future. I put most of my modification dollars into my other bike. Keep this one pretty stock.

Just a quick update..I pulled the snorkle (man, I wasn't expecting the 3-inches of intake tube!) and the think really picks up now! And nice intake noise too. Doesn't seem to have affected the jetting to much, either.