HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cashflow911

I think I need a better skid plate My poor 450

17 posts in this topic

I was riding at ocatillo wells last weekend and crashed on a well placed rock. I bent the oil line bolt that holds the line to the engine case. I think I am going to buy the skid plate here on thumper talk, it looks like it offers way more protection. This line almost had me pushing my bike back to camp. Good thing I had extra bolts in the smog pump that I left on and a handy rock to bend the line back. Anyways watch those lines they are not pefectly guarded.

I would like to cast my vote for the Flatland Racing skid plate , I installed one on my 426 before a trip to CO this spring. It got some real abuse too, not even much for scratches on it. It has been a real tank in my opinion, I was running a Moose plate before and I have several dents in the front legs of the frame where rocks pushed right through the Moose. Just my 2c, great quality and a very competitive price.

Josh

I have had great success with the Utah Sport Cycle bash plate. It is 4 years old now and looks beat up but still protects very well.:mad:

243_1a.jpg243_2a.jpg

1 person likes this

Yeah Im buying a skid plate right now. I was 35 miles out from camp when it happened, thats to far to be pushing that beast. I was looking at the oil pour out thinking &%$#@! am i going to do now. I get 10% off at thumper talk so I think ill get that plate. Thanks

I bought the unit out of the Yamaha 2006 catalog and that thing was stout. I liked the way the side covers were smoothly integrated into the overall unit and they protected the very well.

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike. Aside from some sloppy welds on the inside of the plate (the outside welds are perfect:thumbsup: ), the thing is great. It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ). Since I take my skid plate off for every oil change, this is a big feature, IMO.

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike. Aside from some sloppy welds on the inside of the plate (the outside welds are perfect:thumbsup: ), the thing is great. It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ). Since I take my skid plate off for every oil change, this is a big feature, IMO.

that is what sold me and not to mention it is thick. i ride in the same area you do and i have given this plate a pounding and it holds up great. cant beat the bolt on and off freature which makes it nice:ride:

i have the devol that i put on at octollio for my first ride on my wr. it bolts to the stock holes and i take it off when i change my oil. works great.

I have the Moose which I think is the same as the Utah. It is great. Had the devol and it sucked. Too thin and not as easy to remove and put back on as the Moose.

I've got the GYT-R skid plate on my bike....It bolts directly to the stock mounting holes, something that I'm not sure you get with the Utah plate (based soley on the pic in Indy's post:excuseme: ).

It uses the front stock holes but I did use two of the hangers in the back - those really work well though.

:mad:

I use the yammy one and have no problems. on/off easy for oil changes and if I remember right, it was cheaper than the others I looked at.

I use a locally produced Hyde bash plate, made from polypropolene, fits snuggly. I prefer it to the aluminium as it gives off less vibration & engine noise & just glides over rocks without gouging/sticking onto them.