HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Climber

I got me a delima--YZ250 or YZ450F???

18 posts in this topic

I've heard many great things about them both. And, those that ride them swear that they are the best. So all the info seems biased.

I curently have an 05 yz450 and a 2000 yz250. I like them both, the smoker seems to be quite abit better in the woods and recently tried it at the track and felt that I was able to carry more speed through the corners. This allows me to clear jumps with less effort (motor effort) than is needed on the 450.

But the 2000 250 is quite a bit behind the 06/07 models as is my 05 450..

I do realy like the 450 power and much less shifting that it requires.

My question is really this; how do the new (06/07) smoker and the 450 compare to each other, in terms of handling?

I do about 50/50 woods/MX.

I raced an '06 YZ450F every weekend this year (expert motocross). However, the 450 developed hub problems so for one weekend I was forced to ride my son's old -stock- 2000 YZ250 smoker. Well, surprise, surprise. Even though Yamaha says the dry weight of the bikes is only 2 lbs apart, and even though the old, steel framed 2-stroke feels heavier in the garage, out on the track is a whole different story. Basically, the YZ250 feels like a YZ125. Light as a feather, super accurate steering and SLOW. However, my laps times are faster on the beat up old 2-stroke. What a surprise. Biggest surprise was that the stock front brake of that beat up old bike is far superior to the '06 brake. And in 2000 when I rode that bike I thought that front brake was crap! "Progress" I guess.

Basically I corner and brake the 250 harder than the big four stroke. End of story.

As for the trails, forget about it! It eats the 450 for lunch. No contest.

As for motocross, the difference is close with the edge to the 2-stroke.

I'm 56 now so maybe I'm more effected by the "gyroscopics" of the 450. I also realized (after riding the 2-stroke) that all the MXA fixes I put in to stop front end push on the 450 was just "state of denial". The bike pushes the front end and this is destroying my corner setup on the bike. So maybe the '07 450 will corner like a cat? Well, if it does I'll buy another. If not I may be back on a 2-stroke.

Sic

Hey sic, if you are faster on a 2000 yz250 you will be even quicker on a 2007 yz250. There is no compairing the 2000 250 to an aluminum framed 250.

This is what I wanted to know or hear. I want a 450, but my experience is the same as yours, sic.

And I know that the new 250 is WAY BETTER than the 7 year old 250.

The 450 does shine in the first lap when the track is freshly ripped and muddy. But, after that, the 250 will pull onto the pipe easily without even using the clutch and it's on at that point.

Sic, are you saying that the 06 450 still has more push than the 2000 smoker?

With my 05 450, I'm so sick and tired of front end push. I lost it in a 3rd gear turn sunday do to push which got me passed buy a buch of riders. :mad:

Properly set up, an '06 450 pushes nearly not at all. You can if you want, but the bike won't insist on it. Totally different from an '05.

I can't speak to the 250, but I do have a 06 125 I ride occasionally. I have set my 06 450 suspension up based on the suggestions from MXA, when I hop off my 450 and onto my sons 125 I am always surprised by the feeling that it doesn't turn as tight as my 450. Of course, I haven't done anything to the 125 suspension yet so that has something to do with it but in present form it seems looser than my 450. Anyway, I don't notice alot of push on my 450, it goes where I point it.

I can't speak to the 250, but .... I don't notice alot of push on my ('06) 450, it goes where I point it.
Yeah, sort of like that. Ain't that the coolest thing?

That's the rub.

Everyone that has the 450F thinks that it's the best and everyone that has the 250, thinks that it's the best. And they are both probably right.

I'm on the fence, since I have not fully learned how to ride the 4-stroke yet. However I see that there is some serious potential. And then, I here that the 250 is "unreal".

If i could flog each on the track, it would be an easier decision. So I'm relying on others impressions.

I appreciate the feedback.

I had both a 06 YZ 250 and an 06 YZ 450F, I ride about 50/50 mix of track and trail. I still have the 450. The 250 got traded off for a RMZ 450 =) They are both good bikes, I just prefer the 4 stroke pull vs the high strung 2 stroke. That is what you are going to have to decide, as no one can tell you what you are going to like.

I was originally going to get a 250 2 stroke, was positive I was going to do it, until I rode a 450... The smoothness and power delivery of the 450 impressed me so much that after one lap on it, I knew I wanted one, and I haven't looked back since...My only concern, and still is, is potential engine rebuild costs...

I have had 250F/450F's and 250 2-strokes at the same time and always found my best lap times on mx tracks are on 250F's. That said I liked the YZ250 a lot but it takes more energy to ride as the power and response are quicker. The broad and flat torque curve on the YZ450F makes it so easy to ride. I also found the 06 YZ450F has the most "lightweight" feeling of all the 450F's. I currently have an 06 YZ450F and an 06 YZ125. Lots of fun switching between the bikes. I still consider getting another 06 or 07 YZ250 just for fun. I do not think one bike is superior to the other (YZ250 vs YZ450 - both are fun to ride and you cannot go wrong with either.

I am in the same boat I have a 2001 yz426 right now and I think I am gonna pick up a YZ250 and keep my 426 and maybe down the road sell the 426 and get a 450 and keep the yz250

but those new AMA rules make the YZ250 look pretty good I think the smokers are on the way back

The advantage on the new yz250's is the suspension. The aluminum frame is sexy, but the real gains are with the forks. Obviously a shock is nice, but the forks are where its at.

Its almost impossible to compare even a stock 03 yz 250 with a new 06 or 07. The forks transformed the bike into something worth owning. If your testing an older yz with stock forks, dont bother. These forks were straight from hell and should have been supplied with a cupon for a revalve, or a good life insurance policy.

get an '05 to '07 YZ250, mate (all bike of the year, by the way). definitely an '05 engine is a lot better than your son's '00. further, while you already have a newer model 4-stroke, try getting an equivalent 250cc 2-stroke YZ :mad:

kind regards.

RCannon,

I think that the reason that the old 2000 250 does so well is that the suspension has been done. The forks are no-where-near stock. The motor is rebuilt, but I'm not sure exactly what was done. It does have a very smooth transition onto the pipe and will wheelie just off idle in 1rst and 2nd.

But, it is still an old bike and I'm going to sell it. Newer is almost always better in the MX bike market.

How do you think that the new 250 and 450 compare to each other in terms of handling and power delivery?

well I think I am gonna go with a YZ250 of some year since I already got the 426 and I dont plan to sell it to get the 250 so I will see if I like the smoker and if not I can always sell it and the 426(how can I say that I will never sell my 426) and probably get enough to get a 450 with saving some $$$$ as well

Climber: I rode the 06 YZ450F and 06 YZ250 back to back. Nothing compresses space and time between corners like a 450F. The YZ450F hooks up and accellerates very hard, especially compared to the YZ250. When it comes time to slow down and get into the ruts for the corners you will like the lighter weight of the YZ250 better. You should try some lap time comparisons with a YZ250 (see if you can get on an aluminum frame version) against the YZ450F. You might be surprised which one you actually go faster on. You cannot go wrong with either bike!

RCannon,

I think that the reason that the old 2000 250 does so well is that the suspension has been done. The forks are no-where-near stock. The motor is rebuilt, but I'm not sure exactly what was done. It does have a very smooth transition onto the pipe and will wheelie just off idle in 1rst and 2nd.

But, it is still an old bike and I'm going to sell it. Newer is almost always better in the MX bike market.

How do you think that the new 250 and 450 compare to each other in terms of handling and power delivery?

I hear what your saying. I love my 06 yz 250. I dont care to sell it. I dont see myself trading it for a 450, ever....However....

Your 2000 yz 250 is getting old. You have what is basically the same engine as the 06 yz 250. Make sure the piston and cylinder is fresh, and your current. Replace bearings and anything else that feels and loooks old.

The newer tank design on the two stroke yz's is better. The bike feels much lighter and you dont feel like your riding the gas tank. Your suspension is allready ok. The 06 is better yet, but yours is useable.

To be 100% honest, I dont believe I woudl have felt like I got a great value in trading a 2000 yz 250 and 3 grand for a new 06.

If I were in your shoes, I woudl do the following. Sell the 450 while its still worth something. Take a few bucks and buy 22.5mm offset triple clamps. Siesmic (SP) cycles has them on egay for 300.00 as we speak. The clamps come with tag oversized bars as well. Install these on youy 2 stroke. Enjoy turning inside of the children on their yz 80's. Ride the bike for another year. With 22.5 clamps the yz's come alive.

At that point, look at the 08 yzf 450. Sell the trick parts off of yoru refurbished yz 250. You have now ridden a year for virtually no cash.

My 06 yz 50 is the most incredible machine I have ever owned. However, I sold an 97 yz to get it. That had the old style engine that sucked. I just dont see you being happy with a new 06 yz 250. Its just not that much different than your 2000.......THERE! I SAID IT!

If you want to know how much lighter the 06 feels, drain the gas tank on your 2000. Add 1 pint of fuel back in and go ride it. Thats the approximate weight difference between your 2k and an 06 with a full tank.

Did you ever see McGrath on his 2000 yz 250? Trust me, that bike gives up nothing to anything else onthe market.