XR650R- The Wheelie Monster?

I have uncorked my XRR, to be specific- 68 slow, 175 main, B53E needle 3rd seat, manifold, uni filter, air box pieces, stock exhaust drilled out. The only other change from stock was the revalved and re sprung suspension for a 240 lb rider. The bike runs great, instant throttle response, no backfire issues, starts first kick most of the time, etc., and it just plain and simple hauls a__! But, it does not pull instant 3rd gear wheelies with a twist of the throttle as many have claimed? Is it my size at 6'3" 240lbs keeping the front end down or is it the bike? I love the speed of this bike, it is the fastest dike bike I have ridden, and I thinking the 160lb riders have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the ground because of their weight vs power ratio? Any comments?

Please give me your feedback... Thanks :mad:

i have stock gearing with an edelbroc and weigh 165. the bike will come up in second when i am sitting no problem but not in third. i can however when standing up jump on the throttle and pull back on the bars while leaning back alot and it will come right up, but it won't do it while sitting in third.

i can wheelie mine in 3rd no problem!

i think its you not the bike.

compress the front then tug on the bars just as you hit the throttle.

i can do roll on wheelies on mine in 3rd and 4th...............

all 5 gears on my wr450...............

try harder :mad:

i think you kinda missed the point of his post... he is hearing just like i have of alot of people just being able to roll the gas on and get it up. which i think is false. i don't believe with just all gas while sitting you can get the bike up. obvioously while standing and leaning back or using a little clutch it will come up in third.

That is called 'bouncing' when you let off all the throttle about half way through a gear and come back on WOT and the front end comes up. I have a killer running 680cc bike and it does not just come up in forth without bouncing but, if there is any reason to it will. A riase in the ground, a drop in the ground, feather the clutch. Third will come up on throttle without the clutch.

In my opinion is probably just your weight. I have a uncorked and stock gear 650r, but i only weigh 140pds. I can't keep the front down in 3rd unless i am leaning over the bars. I do 4th gear wheelies easily also with some technique but no clutch. The viedo is a 4th gear start and you can see it comes up slow. And for the wr450, if yours was geared to 100mph, 5th gears would be much harder. My bike gos 81mph in 4th gear so that the same as your 5th gear. http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k24/2000xr650r/?action=view&current=MVC-001W-1.flv

I'm 235lbs and my R will power up in 3rd no problem... no bounce :mad:

4th requires a bounce and tug to get it up though.

As others have suggested, try to get your weight a little back and try again.

Also don't try it from low rpm expecting it to power up as it gets on the cam.

you need to be up on the cam already (just) then wack it open, it'll stand

up for you :mad:

I'm 240 as well and no my uncorked R will not lift under throttlein 3rd. You have to be right in the meat of the torque curve and leaning back a bit before it will even think about it. Seems some people have their bikes jetted spot on and with this bike it can make all the difference. I would love to have the time to have a fiddle with mine one day. If i hammer the throttle in 3rd there's a bit of hesitation before the bike really gets going. As i roll off the throttle a bit the power comes in harder. I think that means i'm too lean on the high ,not sure.:mad:

I'm 240 as well and no my uncorked R will not lift under throttlein 3rd. You have to be right in the meat of the torque curve and leaning back a bit before it will even think about it. Seems some people have their bikes jetted spot on and with this bike it can make all the difference. I would love to have the time to have a fiddle with mine one day. If i hammer the throttle in 3rd there's a bit of hesitation before the bike really gets going. As i roll off the throttle a bit the power comes in harder. I think that means i'm too lean on the high ,not sure.:mad:

Try the "roll off" method in 4th gear, WOT then roll off the gas, and if you get that apperent power gain your probably running lean. I am running a 175 main at sea level.:mad:

I'm running a 172... I can't remember where the needle ended up at, I

played with it too much :mad: (I think it's back in the middle)

Anyhow, the way I know I'm running low on gas is when the front is easy to

lift in 3rd 4+ gallons does a good job of weighing it down :mad:

BTW I'm running 15 / 46 gearing. 36 and larger on the back makes it easy

to power up in 3rd. At 15 / 45 it takes a "good" bounce to get it up in 3rd.