HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
battles2a5

Picked up my new (to me) 426!!

11 posts in this topic

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 426. I picked it up on Friday. The thing still has the original tires, it fires on the first kick, and it is in beautiful condition. I got it for $2100 w/ a helmet , shop manual, and a ramp for my truck. I think I got a pretty good deal.

I spent most of the weekend drooling on it and I finally took it to the track yesterday. Keep in mind I haven't ridden a dirt bike for 9 years and all I have ever ridden are two-strokes. All I have to say is this thing is a beast! The power on this thing is crazy. I am still getting used to it's behavior in the air as it seems very sensitive to throttle on the face of the jump, but that will come with time. I doubt I was getting more than a few inches under the wheels anyway, so I shouldn't have to worry about it!

I took it on some pretty nasty trails and it behaved well. I would just chug along and it would always pull right through. I stalled quite a bit but I am sure that will go away with practice.

After that I took her out on the track again and got a wild hair going into a set of whoops. I let 'er rip through a berm and before I knew it was sideways and in a wheelie (is that possible??) and by the time I straightened it out I was already swapping through the whoops and took a dirt nap right in front of a group of spectators. Super. But all was well- bike and body were in one piece. I am just glad to be back in action!

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 426. I picked it up on Friday. The thing still has the original tires, it fires on the first kick, and it is in beautiful condition. I got it for $2100 w/ a helmet , shop manual, and a ramp for my truck. I think I got a pretty good deal.

I spent most of the weekend drooling on it and I finally took it to the track yesterday. Keep in mind I haven't ridden a dirt bike for 9 years and all I have ever ridden are two-strokes. All I have to say is this thing is a beast! The power on this thing is crazy. I am still getting used to it's behavior in the air as it seems very sensitive to throttle on the face of the jump, but that will come with time. I doubt I was getting more than a few inches under the wheels anyway, so I shouldn't have to worry about it!

I took it on some pretty nasty trails and it behaved well. I would just chug along and it would always pull right through. I stalled quite a bit but I am sure that will go away with practice.

After that I took her out on the track again and got a wild hair going into a set of whoops. I let 'er rip through a berm and before I knew it was sideways and in a wheelie (is that possible??) and by the time I straightened it out I was already swapping through the whoops and took a dirt nap right in front of a group of spectators. Super. But all was well- bike and body were in one piece. I am just glad to be back in action!

1st of all - Welcome to TT and congrats on your 426! I can relate to everything you mention above. I had the same problems when I first got mine. Throttle control is key on hitting the jumps and whoops. I can't tell you how many unintentional Supermans I have performed while jumping. My son really thought they looked cool. Scared the sh&t out of me. I also stalled mine alot in the woods 1st few times out. Gearing down helped quite a bit. In all honesty it took me about a year to figure out how to ride the thing after coming off a 2-stroke. I love the power and handling. Especially on the trails.

- RCD

Ya, I think I will gear mine down quite a bit. I love the woods so I want to be able to play out there. What gearing are you running?

And here are some pics of the beast (let me know if this works):

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3848388

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3848387

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3848386

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=3848385

Wow that thing does look like new. Is it a 2001 model? Congrats on the new/used bike. :mad:

Yes, its a 2001. I must admit that its not quite as nice after a day of riding :mad:. A scratch here, mangled grip there... you know how it goes.

If your going to ride them, they will look bad in a hurry. Its a constant battle to try to keep them nice. Here is my 02 model...

yzf20007.jpg

642mx- that thing is a bute! Where did you get those graphics and hand guards if you don't mind me asking?

642mx- that thing is a bute! Where did you get those graphics and hand guards if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. The graphics and seat cover are from Execute. The handguards are UFO.