HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrashMachine

2006 YZ450F Questions..

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, a few weeks ago we picked up an 06 YZ450F (Yellow too..hehe)

Its got about 60 miles on it (I dont know how many hours...we never really counted that)

Its still got the original oil in it.

How soon should I change it, and what should I use?

Also, I heard from someone that these new ones use two oils, one for the tranny, like the CRF's do...is this true?

I know this is probably posted somewhere else but I cant find it.

Is there anything I should know about this bike?

Within a few weeks its gonna be skidplated, get a kickstand and spark arrestor (PromotoBillet) and a few other things....

Any advice?

It only uses one oil. Its shared between the top end and the transmission/clutch. If you haven't change it yet, you should now. I run Motul 10w30 and change it every ride. You can run the more expensive oils if you want.. but it gets costly if you change your oil often. Motul is good stuff and lots of guys here use it.

You are due an oil change. I change my oil and filter every other ride.

It uses one oil, not two. Make sure you start the bike up and let it run for a minute before changing the oil.

Swanny

Is it too early to use synthetic?

I thought I should use dino for a while, just to make sure the rings seat well.

My other bike (which I'm currently trying to sell) is a 2002 Yz250F....

I love it to death..but...This 450 is AMAZING!

I CANT WAIT TO MOD THIS THING!

go to sears or wherever and buy an hour meter. It makes keeping up on oil changes a lot easier. Oil is cheap insurance that the bike will last. I would change it now along with the filter and in the future change it at no longer then 8 hour intervals.

You can use synthetic now. Just make sure it's designed for the bike and is not "Energy Conserving" blend.

I've got about 5 quarts of Yamalube 4-R in my garage..

So that means I can use that stuff.

Any of you guys know of anybody in the Los Angeles area who wants to buy an 02 yz250f?

Is it too early to use synthetic?
No. I drained the factory oil out of mine when I got it home and broke it in on the same Amsoil MCF I run all the time.
I've got about 5 quarts of Yamalube 4-R in my garage..

So that means I can use that stuff.

You can if you want. I don't like it, but it won't hurt anything if you change it frequently.

Offering things for sale isn't allowed in the forums. Stick it in the classifieds for free.

The WC plate is nice, and you don't have to remove it to change oil, but it makes it a lot easier IMO and is worth the extra time. I also like the WC rad cages, but I've heard a lot of good things about the Unabikers also.

Grayracer, If I may ask, what do you not like about Yamalube?
It doesn't stay in grade well, and in general doesn't perform well in several critcial lab tests vs. other oils or testing standards for an oil of its type and price. It also has too little of the zinc/phosphorus anti-wear additives for my taste.

Change the oil and filter now. I use Mobil 1 MX4T. It's a fully synthetic moto specific oil. It's available at Walmart around $8 a quart. I've run this stuff in the last 6 bikes I've owned. Get an hour meter DR D or Platinum 1, and change every 5 hours and filter every 10.