HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Owyhee

XR600 no start when cold

4 posts in this topic

This morning was my first "winter" ride on my 1999 XR600. Normally, the bike is a one or two kick starter when cold and a one kick starter when hot.

This morning (25 degrees, 5,500 feet) the bike would not start. With each kick it would make a blubbering noise like it was trying to fire but die.

I ended up having to push-start it down a gravel road to get it to run. Once it warmed up it was a one half-ass kick starter (4,000 feet to 7,500 feet).

Is there some cold weather trick to make it easier to start? I weigh 140lbs; kicking for 10 minutes wears me out fast.

"O"

Do you have the stock jetting in there? A one or two size larger pilot can help a lot.

Have you looked at the choke plate. They are known to get metal fatigue and get sucked thru the engine. I caught mine just before it broke. I just took mine out completely. I have started it down to about 30 degrees by turning on the gas and laying the bike down. That causes the carb to "flood" a bit. It then starts rather easily, but if it doesn't start in a few kicks I jhave to repete the process.

Do you have the stock jetting in there? A one or two size larger pilot can help a lot.

Have you looked at the choke plate. They are known to get metal fatigue and get sucked thru the engine. I caught mine just before it broke. I just took mine out completely. I have started it down to about 30 degrees by turning on the gas and laying the bike down. That causes the carb to "flood" a bit. It then starts rather easily, but if it doesn't start in a few kicks I jhave to repete the process.

Previous owner said he jetted for 3,000 feet and by the seat of my pants it feels about right. The bike doesn't pop or backfire (much) but it also will not kick start above 8,000 feet.

I'm running 15-40 Mobil 1 right now and just got a case of 0-40 Mobil 1 for winter riding. 0-40 sounds crazy to me.

This week is "carb bath" week. Both my 600 and my 200 will be getting the carbs cleaned out. While the carb is out I'll inspect the choke plate.

"O"