HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brennan82

YZF400 History

6 posts in this topic

Can someone please give me a brief history lesson on the YZF400. I need information like when was it made, who made it, was it made for someone in specific, stuff like that.

Thanks

Are you on something..."who made it" ...&%$#@!?

It was made form 1998-1999, and it was made to Moto. Oh yea, Yamaha made it, just for the record.:mad:

It was made form 1998-1999, and it was made to Moto. Oh yea, Yamaha made it, just for the record.:mad:

The prototype was introduced in 1997 (I believe) Doug Henry rode it as factory yami rider and won Las Vegas in its innagaral.....race ...again if my memory serves me correctly.....I bought a 1998 YZF400...one of the only riders in my area to dare try a 4stroke....everyone laughed at me for buying it,,,,,"oh that thang sounds like to stuck pig"....I remember all the flack....I bought a 1999 and the comments were still made....I knew the bike would be the future of MX, but most were skeptical even then and into 2000.....The 400 evolved to the 426 which evolved to the 450,,,each yr yami improved on little things (I bought each year 400-426 and even a WR in 02)

...no big major changes until the 450 in 03....then the 06 came out and it was totally trick compared to the 03-05...07 has the normal small enhances but it is one of the best bikes you can buy today...certainly has the best stock suspension of any 450 out there.....and sticks a line...just like a slot car!

History lesson complete!:mad:

As a historical side bar, when Yamaha rolled out the first prototypes of the YZ250F, which I believe they did in late 1999, they told no one, and no one knew. And yet it was right there in plain sight. How did they hide it? By putting YZ400 stickers on the fender and have Doug Dubach ride it in the big class, that's how. :mad:

Sorry, I wasn't thinking when I typed that. I was using a crappy computer so it wouldn't let me edit my post and thanks for the info.