smog pump on xr650r

Please ignore my ignorance, i am very new to this type of bike as i have always ridden road bikes, i keep hearing about this smog pump thingy ma jiggy, i have uncorked my brp and i dont know where the thingy ma jiggy thing is can someone help me, has my bike definetly got one? it is a 2002 650r, i cant seem to find it, help.:mad:

AFAIK, an 02' XR650R will only have the smog pump if it is a California model. If there is no box with some hoses running out of it bolted to the back of the right radiator then you don't have one. All the radiators do have the mounting tabs for them though.

• 1 year later...
AFAIK, an 02' XR650R will only have the smog pump if it is a California model. If there is no box with some hoses running out of it bolted to the back of the right radiator then you don't have one. All the radiators do have the mounting tabs for them though.

Mine has it.?

Ive done a search but cant find the pics/directions on how to remove it/block it off. I have found stuff for the L model is it the same?

Any tips?

TIA

zerofear66 - first thing you have to get is a smog block off kit - basically a metal block off plate and some hardware. Remove the pump and hoses, installing the block off plate is the worst part, real tight fit to get the allen key in there - easy to damage the radiator cooling fins. Install the new block off plate, block off the hose attachment on the airbox and you are done - pretty simple job.