HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oldSkewl

XR600R choke plate, is it really a problem?

6 posts in this topic

OK, how many XR600Rs actually swallow their choke plates? Is the problem related to certain years or all XR600Rs? Mine is a 98 I bought used with about 7K miles on it. If it hasn't sucked it down by now will it ever? If I do need it how hard is it to install? How long does it take to do it? I hear the XR's only plate doesn't fit very well and needs to be hand fitted (sanded etc).

Anybody still running stock carbs WITHOUT the plate? You guys me got all parnoid about this issue! Thanks... :mad:

I have a 93 600. Last year I had the bike apart and I looked at the plate. The flap was hanging by a thread and the rest of the plate had a big crack almost all the way through. My bike has a *lot* more than 7000 miles on it. So yes it is a problem in your future.

I just yanked the plate out completely. I have started the bike down to about 30 degrees by tipping it over so the carb floods. I also have a richer than stock pilot.

After reading some of the posts, I too took off my choke plate. 93 XR 600, no problems starting it without the plate, stock jetting except the pilot jet which is one step richer.

I did recently switch to an Edelbrock carb which does not have a choke and the bike is still easy to start.

OK, how many XR600Rs actually swallow their choke plates? Is the problem related to certain years or all XR600Rs? Mine is a 98 I bought used with about 7K miles on it. If it hasn't sucked it down by now will it ever? If I do need it how hard is it to install? How long does it take to do it? I hear the XR's only plate doesn't fit very well and needs to be hand fitted (sanded etc).

Anybody still running stock carbs WITHOUT the plate? You guys me got all parnoid about this issue! Thanks... :mad:

eventually they will all swallow their plates.

the stock versions fatigue through general wear and tear.

consider it a consumable (not for your engine!!!)

I have a XR's only choke plate that is like new I will sell you for $20 shipped. You will have to reuse your stock screws because I lost the ones for the XR's only choke plate