Anybody running 20" front wheel?

I saw a CRF450 at the desert last weekend with a 20" front wheel, "alot more meat than the 21"....I like the concept and was wondering if anyone on a xr650r has tried it? Seems like it would work well in cornering since the BRP always tends to over power the front grip. I know I know you steer these bikes with the throttle and the ass end, but a little more front grip never hurts....any one have input?

Seems like it would put more weight on the front being a smaller diameter, and help with turn in, in the right conditions, I would try a lower profile front tire first though, a lot cheaper than than a new wheel and I bet 20" tires are twice what a 21 costs.

seems like a bad idea to mee. WAY less tire choice!

23" front wheels are too big 20" is too small.

why change something that works fine?

I think that was what came on my 1986 XR600R, I didn't see any big difference other than tires were more costly and less choices.

Seems like it would put more weight on the front being a smaller diameter, and help with turn in, in the right conditions, I would try a lower profile front tire first though, a lot cheaper than than a new wheel and I bet 20" tires are twice what a 21 costs.

I was thinking to run a 20" tire with a thicker profile to match an overal diameter of a 21" tire. The setup i saw looked like he was running a less agressive rear tire in the front......Just trying to think outside the box a little....

That makes no sense to me, why run a 20 with a tall profile that takes away steering feel and turn in ability, the only time this would make any kind of sense to me is running high speeds over a very rocky surface. If you want more steering feel and to add weight to the front a lower profile tire is the way to achieve this. Good luck, share your findings with us!

I was thinking to run a 20" tire with a thicker profile to match an overal diameter of a 21" tire. The setup i saw looked like he was running a less agressive rear tire in the front......Just trying to think outside the box a little....

Ty Davis and the rest of the Montclair Yamaha team run 20 inch fronts.

One guy in my club uses a 20 inch front on his YZ250. I asked him about it one day and he said he can't tell any difference.

I've thought about knocking down a front wheel and lacing a 20 to the hub but then I think about the effort and the cost and the fact that I probably wouldn't be able to find the front tire I like to run and I move on...

What about lacing an 18" rear rim to the front hub?

Might be an easy/cheap way to get a set of motard wheels...

I just realized how old this thread is. anyway I just put a 20 on and it works great everywhere so far. It is smoother . It turns better. Less choices than a 21 but who cares it works better. I am even running a cheap tire from Parts unlimited called excella OF215 90/100-21 It was just over 50 bucks. I can't wait till I try a pirelli or the 90/100-20 M201 Bridgestone. That last one looks pretty good and works good from what I hear. This excella bites great so I may stick to this cheap tire anyway. Anyway I think it is worth the money and time to change it.

I just realized how old this thread is. anyway I just put a 20 on and it works great everywhere so far. It is smoother . It turns better. Less choices than a 21 but who cares it works better. I am even running a cheap tire from Parts unlimited called excella OF215 90/100-21 It was just over 50 bucks.

This is a mistake. It is a excella OF 215 90/100-20.

a few of the KLR (another bike i have) guys run fat 19" tire/wheel combos up front...19" were prefered due to tire costs and selections...i believe the the 19" were only about 1/2" shorter than the 21"...the biggest tradeoff would seem to be the added weight...

if you think the BRP is heavy and "pushes" give a KLR a ride in the dirt :bonk:

:prof: