HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike38

Engine swap?

6 posts in this topic

Will a 2001 YZ426F engine bolt into a 1999 YZ400F frame? E-Z change, or major project?

THANKS [search not working]

my philosophy is that anything's possible, given enough time, creativity, and resources.

That said, the 426 is very similar to the 400 externally (if not identical), so if the motor doesn't bold up directly, it will only require minor modifications to mounting brackets to make it fit.

As far as i'm concerned, it should be fun!!! :mad:

I don't know categorically if it will fit or not, but the biggest obstacle in some of these swaps is often the dimensions of the swing arm and pivot. That is, the width of the rear hard point on the engine, and the bolt diameter. YZF's do usually use removable steel inserts at that point, though, and these can often be removed and remade to solve a mismatch within limits.

OTOH, Whole YZ426's are getting less expensive by the day, why not just buy one?

Whole YZ426's are getting less expensive by the day, why not just buy one?

The 400 has been "DTXed" and is raced in flattrack. About $1800 in suspention work, different rims and tires. I figured it would be quickest / cheapest to just drop in another engine. The old 1999 engine is plain wore out.

The 400 has been "DTXed" and is raced in flattrack. About $1800 in suspention work, different rims and tires. I figured it would be quickest / cheapest to just drop in another engine. The old 1999 engine is plain wore out.

I have an 01 426 frame, sub frame, air box and swing arm that may help you out with your suspension motor issue.

PM me if you are interested