HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharky_do_do

Suspension Advice / 185 Pounds

8 posts in this topic

Hi Felluz - I just switched over from an '05 Honda 450 to a Yam YZ450F and

thought I would seek some suspension advice like the other guy did. I usually don't like to ask for help on this, but I have been out of the game for a while, and I'm not familair with KYB 's....hope you understand! This is actually my first time posting in the Yam forum.

Background and knowledge: I learned quite a bit from Semic's suspension video last year, but have been out with an injury for the most part of last year. I'm back on, but now with a YZ450F with KYB's.

I'm ride/race mid pack Vet Novice, weigh 185 pounds, and am about 5'8".

The soil is mostly clay based (San Jose Fairgrounds, Club Moto) and also

some loamy tracks (Oatfield, Estreet, and Madera Fairgrounds).

I've got half a dozen rides on the bike, but am interested in some opinions on baseline settings. And YES, I love this damn thing!!!!!:mad:

I don't want any of the Honda guys to ride one of these bikes....:mad:

Please give me your input on baseline settings based on the above, thanks.

I'll give all suggestions a try!

Sharky

Hi Felluz - I just switched over from an '05 Honda 450 to a Yam YZ450F and

thought I would seek some suspension advice like the other guy did. I usually don't like to ask for help on this, but I have been out of the game for a while, and I'm not familair with KYB 's....hope you understand! This is actually my first time posting in the Yam forum.

Background and knowledge: I learned quite a bit from Semic's suspension video last year, but have been out with an injury for the most part of last year. I'm back on, but now with a YZ450F with KYB's.

I'm ride/race mid pack Vet Novice, weigh 185 pounds, and am about 5'8".

The soil is mostly clay based (San Jose Fairgrounds, Club Moto) and also

some loamy tracks (Oatfield, Estreet, and Madera Fairgrounds).

I've got half a dozen rides on the bike, but am interested in some opinions on baseline settings. And YES, I love this damn thing!!!!!:mad:

I don't want any of the Honda guys to ride one of these bikes....:mad:

Please give me your input on baseline settings based on the above, thanks.

I'll give all suggestions a try!

Sharky

You can start here and remember the bike is very responsive to sag and fork height.

Forks: Comp- 9 out

Reb - 9 out

Raise fork tube to line on fork

Shock: Comp- 10 out

Reb - 8 out

HS - 1 3/4 out

Sag - 100mm

You can start here and remember the bike is very responsive to sag and fork height.

Forks: Comp- 9 out

Reb - 9 out

Raise fork tube to line on fork

Shock: Comp- 10 out

Reb - 8 out

HS - 1 3/4 out

Sag - 100mm

--------

Thanks MXracer - I tried your setting and they work pretty darn good!!!!! :cheers:

What about for me im 6'0 195. Any suggestions?
Very slightly more compression and very slightly less rebound. 195 is at or near the top of the range the stock springs are expected to handle.

Rebound works against the springs. The springs on your bike are working against 25 more pounds than they were intended to, and so, will not rebound with the same energy that those on a bike with a lighter rider will.