HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dp2boy

Front axle alignment

5 posts in this topic

Is there a correct procedure or order for reinstalling the front axle ? It seems like I read an article a long time ago that stated you should tighten the left cinch bolts first then the axle nut then the right cinch bolts ? But I probably have that all messed up.

The manual simply says to first tighten the axle nut, then bounce the front end several times with the brake on, then tighten the axle pinch bolts. What I think is wrong with that is that tightening the axle with the brake side pinch bolts loose will interfere with the brake side axle lug clamping on the axle correctly. On the other hand, it is certainly true that tightening the pinch bolts first will keep the axle from being drawn through and seated against the axle lug as it should.

So, what I do is run the axle nut down to about 20 ft/lb, then tighten the brake side pinch bolts (not the right side) to about 7-9 ft/lb, then tighten the axle nut completely. At that point I finish tightening the brake side pinch bolts, bounce the front end, which lets the axle find where the forks want it to be, then tighten the right side axle lug. Since the brake side lug will be held in place by the nut in any case, there is no reason to leave it loose before centering the axle.

Sounds feasible Gray, I think you are basically saying the same thing as the article I mentioned. Thanks,

Is there a correct procedure or order for reinstalling the front axle ? It seems like I read an article a long time ago that stated you should tighten the left cinch bolts first then the axle nut then the right cinch bolts ? But I probably have that all messed up.

I have a friend that compresses the forks as far as he can before tightening the right side pinch bolt so the alignment is correct because the sliders are as far in the upper tubes as possible.

I have done it that way and can't tell a difference in the performance of the fork.

I do something similar to grayracer, but I spin the front wheel with the bike on a stand and hit the front brake several times to let the wheel center itself... has always worked good for me.