07 WR450 - Aluminum Frame!

Have you guys seen that the new 07's have an aluminum frame..

It seems like they really did alot of updating for this years WR....

I am thinking of getting one.

I currently ride a DRZ400-S.... I'll keep the DRZ for all the long dualsport events I do, it does a great job.. but I would like to get something a little lighter for the woods riding I do....

Has anyone heard anything negative about the new WR's?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you weigh 240lbs. 3 pound doesn't make much difference.

You 07 nay sayers are in for a rude awakwening. Based on my recent ride on an uncorked 07WR250, the difference from the 06WR250 is as amazing as the difference between the 05 and 06 YZ!

Ive hammered 2 years worth of aluminum Yamaha frames with.......NO ill effects. The handeling is incredible.

Thumbs up to WR development. Cant wait to try on the 450:cheers:

i think its going to be a great improvement.....

I was telling my buddy i was thinking about an 07 wr450

He told me that I should look at the 250... but I am thinking that the 250's power will be lacking compared to what I am used to on my DRZ400

Don't girls usually ride the wr250?

Man I must be missing something........I don't see how a RIGID frame, one made from aluminum and the other made from steel can make such a huge difference in how it handles.......I do know the rear shock is situated a little different and that I believe is what would make a difference.......but basic physics doesn't lie.

Can we all agree on something? It's still October, right? Which means nobody in the general consumer population has ridden one. Why? Because they're not available yet. Anyone can pontificate how much better the new WR is, but it's a bunch of :mad:, because their butt has never even touched the seat. When the '07's hit the market and we see the reviews on this forum and in the industry rags, then you can start to listen to those who have them. Until then, there is nothing anyone can say, good, bad or otherwise, that holds any water. Patience people. They'll be here soon enough and then we'll see :mad: :mad: :worthy:...SC

Until then, there is nothing anyone can say, good, bad or otherwise, that holds any water. Patience people. They'll be here soon enough and then we'll see :mad::worthy::ride:...SC

i disagree. i can say "the shiny alum frame looks cooler.":applause: :mad: :mad: :banana:

btw i saw one the other day at the dealer and they look cooler. it has a nice wave rotor in the rear. no AIS. nice new pro taper bars and nicer foot pegs.

now if i had 8-9k that i didnt care about i would buy one. that is what is the most important thing. why be the 1st guy on the block to work out bugs on a new toy?

Man I must be missing something........I don't see how a RIGID frame, one made from aluminum and the other made from steel can make such a huge difference in how it handles.......I do know the rear shock is situated a little different and that I believe is what would make a difference.......but basic physics doesn't lie.

C of G and engine positioning make the biggest difference, not what the frame is made of! This is where the alloy frame excels. As you say, basic physics doesn't lie.

PS. They could have done the same thing with steel frame.

I spoke to Zipty Racing yesterday. Apparently they have had a couple of 450's for a while and have been racing them in 24 hr events. They are so close to YZ's that nobody notices the diff.. They've been yanking the e start off though to reduce weight.

They are coming out with a new tank just for the yz/wr'S SOON. The frames they said are nearly identical. The swingarms may be a tad shorter on the WR's which explains the 10mm less wheel travel.

They are also coming out with an adjustable linkage for the rear to adjust rideheight and handling characteristics.

C of G and engine positioning make the biggest difference, not what the frame is made of! This is where the alloy frame excels. As you say, basic physics doesn't lie.

PS. They could have done the same thing with steel frame.

Okay, if you say center of gravity is all that is moved, then I feel good about keeping my 06 because moving my body a half inch (max) forward will put the C of G right where I would be on an 07.

Damn! Steve..... You're right.... :mad:

Though infrequent, it happens occasionally. All this talk about how great the new bike IS, reminds me of an overanxious kid on prom night. As your date walks down the stairs to meet you, you're thinking you're gonna get some before the night is over, then she pukes in your lap on the ride home:cry:...SC

Though infrequent, it happens occasionally. All this talk about how great the new bike IS, reminds me of an overanxious kid on prom night. As your date walks down the stairs to meet you, you're thinking you're gonna get some before the night is over, then she pukes in your lap on the ride home:cry:...SC

How did you know that? I never told anyone.

You must have been my cab driver...

For the last time, it is not about weight savings!!!!!!!!!
So is this about the weight savings then? :mad:

You are of course correct, and while the stat sheet junkies will dismiss the 2 or 3 lb difference...the final judgement will be on how heavy the bike "feels", just like comparing an 05/06 WR450 to a (dare I say more truckish?) earlier model of similar weight.