HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hypersthenos

Handwarmer options

2 posts in this topic

I have a '00 650R. I've had handwarmers on several bikes & have always used the universal tape type to be mounted to the bars under the grips which can be had locally which have a Hi/Lo setting with a resistor for the low setting. I've always just added a 2 position, on/off switch & ran the left side without the resistor & ran the resistor to the throttle side to equalize the heat. This works but I would like a higher setting for colder days up here in the NW. Anyone out there figured out a way to prevent the left side from absorbing heat into the bar so a Hi/Lo setup will work equally to both sides? I thought about getting some thick heat shrink to apply under the element on the left side & using a throttle grip to compensate for the added diameter but this would require 2 throttle side grips to work as well as possibly causing adhesion problems.

I have a '00 650R. I've had handwarmers on several bikes & have always used the universal tape type to be mounted to the bars under the grips which can be had locally which have a Hi/Lo setting with a resistor for the low setting. I've always just added a 2 position, on/off switch & ran the left side without the resistor & ran the resistor to the throttle side to equalize the heat. This works but I would like a higher setting for colder days up here in the NW. Anyone out there figured out a way to prevent the left side from absorbing heat into the bar so a Hi/Lo setup will work equally to both sides? I thought about getting some thick heat shrink to apply under the element on the left side & using a throttle grip to compensate for the added diameter but this would require 2 throttle side grips to work as well as possibly causing adhesion problems.

On my XR650R I wrapped the left side with 3 or 4 layers of duct tape and then used a lubricant to slip the grip over the grip heater. It helps but the left side still heats up slower and a little less than the throttle side. Your heat shrink idea should work fine with normal grips just use a lub to slip the left grip on. I've used WD40 as a lube because it dissapates rather quickly. Soapy water would work too is suppose.