Handwarmer options

I have a '00 650R. I've had handwarmers on several bikes & have always used the universal tape type to be mounted to the bars under the grips which can be had locally which have a Hi/Lo setting with a resistor for the low setting. I've always just added a 2 position, on/off switch & ran the left side without the resistor & ran the resistor to the throttle side to equalize the heat. This works but I would like a higher setting for colder days up here in the NW. Anyone out there figured out a way to prevent the left side from absorbing heat into the bar so a Hi/Lo setup will work equally to both sides? I thought about getting some thick heat shrink to apply under the element on the left side & using a throttle grip to compensate for the added diameter but this would require 2 throttle side grips to work as well as possibly causing adhesion problems.

I have a '00 650R. I've had handwarmers on several bikes & have always used the universal tape type to be mounted to the bars under the grips which can be had locally which have a Hi/Lo setting with a resistor for the low setting. I've always just added a 2 position, on/off switch & ran the left side without the resistor & ran the resistor to the throttle side to equalize the heat. This works but I would like a higher setting for colder days up here in the NW. Anyone out there figured out a way to prevent the left side from absorbing heat into the bar so a Hi/Lo setup will work equally to both sides? I thought about getting some thick heat shrink to apply under the element on the left side & using a throttle grip to compensate for the added diameter but this would require 2 throttle side grips to work as well as possibly causing adhesion problems.

On my XR650R I wrapped the left side with 3 or 4 layers of duct tape and then used a lubricant to slip the grip over the grip heater. It helps but the left side still heats up slower and a little less than the throttle side. Your heat shrink idea should work fine with normal grips just use a lub to slip the left grip on. I've used WD40 as a lube because it dissapates rather quickly. Soapy water would work too is suppose.