Shhhh, My Neighbors Giving Me Dirty Looks< Is The Pro Circuit 496 Quiet

I have been running the FMF powercore4 for a while now and even new it was loud. So I am tired of the dirty looks, hey I live out in the boonies have three neighbors closest is a 1/4 mile away. But I do want to respect others so, will find a quieter muffler. Any info. suggestions will be appreciated. I know this is going to be a growing issue nationwide.

For you that is going to say put the stock back on- screw that!

I am also planning on doing some club rides and they have a tech inspection with a 92db @ 3400 rpm limit!

I have thought about this awhile and Have considered the xrs only piece with the insert, but it still may be louder than 92db.

Speak from experience please, I do not want to cork my exhaust I know the louder the faster, but I want fast and relatively quiet.

496 is real quiet

I ride with a bunch of guys who don't like loud pipes

I had the T4 on my DRZ and it was embarassing to start and idle in my yard.

So I was hesitant to try the 496 on my XR650R.

As it turns out I could idle it all day in my yard and not be scared the neighbors would yell.

It is a bit tight putting it on, but it is quiet and has a nice rasp when ya crank

The 92db limit may seem a bit tough, but I noticed that it is conducted at 3400 rpm. This is lower than most sound testing as well. If I remember right, sound tests are usually conducted at 1/2 of the manufacturers specified redline, so on a 650R I am going to assume that the tests are run at around 4400-4500 rpm (I can't remember what redline actually is). With any of the aftermarket quiet exhausts (FMF Q, 496, WB E-2, etc...) you should be able to hit that target. All of these exhausts are quieter than a stock can with the HRC or a drilled out stock tip.

Personally, I like the FMF, Pro-Circuit, and the like that do not have removable quiet cores, discs, etc... The reason is that people buy them, but then pull the stuff out that makes them quiet anyway!!!:mad: I am just as guilty of this as other people. I had a White Bros. R-4 and purchased the quiet core insert to go with it. I think I may have used it twice because the power was sooooo much better without it in there. That's also why I sold it on e-bay last spring. Too loud and too much temptation to keep it that way.

I will be purchasing a PC 496 in the spring when I can start trail riding again. It is a very well built piece and has a fairly small profile. Plus, if it is good enough for Campbell, Hengeveld, and Co., then it is good enough for me!!!

Much better, Thanks guys! Except now I am torn a little, Q2 by FMF or Type 496 by ProCircuit, I have seen the 496 new for around $330, have not seen the price of the Q2. I am a little disapointed in the last FMF it got progressively louder over 7 months of riding and last time I looked the spark arrestor screen was completely blown out! Any one seen that happen before in 7 months? About 3500 miles of riding.

I am a little disapointed in the last FMF it got progressively louder over 7 months of riding and last time I looked the spark arrestor screen was completely blown out! Any one seen that happen before in 7 months? About 3500 miles of riding.

Mines over 5000 miles old now and still fine. You will, at some point have to

re-pack the spark arrester. The fiber / packing deteriorates over time and it

will get louder... this is normal. Having said that, I still haven't repacked mine

and it still sounds fine after 5k miles

Mine is just about as loud as straight pipes, almost as loud as a harley, too loud for my neighbors. I guess I could repack and put another screen in it.

Anyone seen the FMF Q4 looks trick.

Got the latest dirt rider they do a comparison test, and using a WR450F, they picked the DR.D as their favorite and at 93db, pretty quiet. $515 list for a full system.

I do like the new FMF TiPowercore at $299 and was 93.2db. I may keep an eye out for this pipe at around $250.

The ProCircuit was labeled best race pipe and came in at 95.8db.

i have the FMF Q2 and it is pretty quiet and had a noticable increase in power. i leave for work at 6am and my neighbors havent said a thing yet.

I would also leave at six in the a.m. but i was my neighbors alarm clock White Bros. E-series type! Bra Braa Braappppp! Time to wake up and go to work!:mad:

OK, I went on a longer ride tonight with the PC silencer. It btook me a little time to adjust to the difference from stock, but it is actually pretty quiet. Of course I do not have a db meter but on my subjective opinion it is fine, and I have heard quite a few different pipes.

Once again, the best thing is thge build quality, which is outstanding. On the L model you do need to get a longer bolt to run through the turn signal bracket though.

BP

I saw landsharks xrs only pipe I am really impressed with the quality all stainless too, the pipe before the can is massive like a two strokes, and is tunable for sound. I will have to continue my survey who else has the xrs pipe and what about the sound, power aspects of it?