22mm RG3 Triple Clamps Combo f/ '06 450???

I just ordered these for my '06 YZ450 and was wondering how well they've been working for other riders?:devil:

I probably would have asked that question before I bought them...

I probably would have asked that question before I bought them...

No Kidding Sherlock!

Some riders prefer the 27MM version but you can bet that RG3 has tested the 22mm clamps, I would ask their opinions.

IMO, there isn't a reason to fiddle with the steering of an '06 in the first place.

I just ordered these for my '06 YZ450 and was wondering how well they've been working for other riders?:mad:

I put them on 2 different 06 YZ-450's, even though they turned very well already I did actually prefer them to stock. It did not make a huge change but seemed to fall in ruts much better. I do not think my son even noticed when I changed the last set. All said, I would probably put a set on my own bike but if it was my money I was spending it would be one of the last mods I did.

I just ordered these for my '06 YZ450 and was wondering how well they've been working for other riders?:mad:

RG3 clamps are the best.....I have them on my 03 ..... rubber mounted and they help a lot with vibration....not so much on a 06(as there is little to no vibration)....but Doug Dubach swears by their 27mm version on a 06, for turning...I just do not have steering issues on my 06 to warrant them...:mad:

RG3 clamps are the best.....I have them on my 03 ..... rubber mounted and they help a lot with vibration....not so much on a 06(as there is little to no vibration)....but Doug Dubach swears by their 27mm version on a 06, for turning...I just do not have steering issues on my 06 to warrant them...:mad:

In the new Dirt Rider it says he uses custom 24mm applied clamps.

I noticed that. I would have commented on the 22.5 clamps, but I have them on a yz 250 two stroke and not the 4 stroke. The geometry is virtually identical, however.

I love the quality of the rg3 clamps. they are beautiful. The upper rubber mounted clamp is especially cool. They are worth their high price.

I believe you will like the turning difference. The bike will feel much more sensative and accurate. The front tire sticks 100% better, maybe more.

The only drawback is if your sag is not set properly. This extra stick from the front end turns into a massive case of oversteer. No big deal, just not as forgiving to being out of adjustment as the stock bike is.

I put them on mine, but I already had them from my YZ 250, and I never rode the 450 before I put them on. So I don't know if it made an improvement or not, but it does turn like a good thing, they look sweet, and I have hardly any vibration reaching my hands.

I noticed that. I would have commented on the 22.5 clamps, but I have them on a yz 250 two stroke and not the 4 stroke. The geometry is virtually identical, however.

I love the quality of the rg3 clamps. they are beautiful. The upper rubber mounted clamp is especially cool. They are worth their high price.

I believe you will like the turning difference. The bike will feel much more sensative and accurate. The front tire sticks 100% better, maybe more.

The only drawback is if your sag is not set properly. This extra stick from the front end turns into a massive case of oversteer. No big deal, just not as forgiving to being out of adjustment as the stock bike is.

When I found out they legnthened the shock for 07 I ordered a shorter link that raised the rear of the bike 10mm on the sag guage.

It did not really help the bike but it did give it head shake on fast stuff so I went back.

My 07 is great & has no problems.

I talked to Dubach Racing before I bought them. Doug actually liked the 22.5mm better than the 24mm. He tried to get Applied to build the 22.5mm but they wouldn't. He has to run what Applied has due to affiliations. He also uses the Radiator Lowering Kit on his YZ450 with a special lower head pipe. I have all 3 of these items coming. It may be alittle over kill. The '06 will fall into rutted turns OK if you slide way up on the tank. Due to 2 Knee surgeries I like to ride and turn with my body on the front of the seat but not up on the tank. If you would like to know how it works out i'll post later.:mad:

Yes , the smaller offset will reduce trail.

This creates a bike with better turning manners, without hurting stability.

It was a big deal to put 22 mm offset tripple clamps on the '02 crf450, because it had too much trail.

A bike with a lot of trail turns like a chopper, you can feel the wheel pivoting under the axle, makes dirt bikes want to climb out of the ruts, causing instability on rough tracks, and slow turning manners.

:mad:

Yes , the smaller offset will reduce trail.
You have that reversed. Less offset, like 22mm in place of 25mm, increases trail.

Trail is the distance between the point at which a line drawn through the center of the steering axis meets the ground and the point at which the tire contacts the ground. This is called trail because the contact point "trails" behind the steering axis, and trail is part of what gives a bike the tendency to go straight at speed when no force is applied to the bars. Because decreasing the offset moves the fork rearward in relation to the steering axis, trail is increased, not decreased.

frame.gif

Trail by itself does not cause the symptoms you mention. Head angle is a major factor in cornering manners, and is mostly the culprit in the poor behavior of an MX bike, since they are pretty much forced to run shallow head angles in order to deal with the extraordinarily rough surfaces they run over. Increasing trail increases the amount that the steering head moves from one side to the other as the bars are turned left and right. Increasing the head angle (making the fork lay flatter) increases the amount that the steering head moves up and down as the fork is turned.

These two do not work independently of each other, and you must remember that a motorcycle leans as it turns, which very significantly alters the dynamic of the way the steering geometry works. As the bike is leaned into a turn, the more trail it has, the more the wheel will tend to "flop over" at low speeds. That's why in a bike that feels heavy and unwilling to turn, like the early YZ450's, adding trail by reducing the offset gives the steering a lighter feel. If too much trail is dialed into a bike with too steep a head angle (fork too vertical), the front will want to tuck under suddenly, or climb up the inside edge of ruts. Shallow head angle, not trail, is the main reason MX bikes have a built in proclivity toward pushing the front end (understeer).

Trail and head angle are a balancing act, and steering geometry in a motorcycle is always something of a compromise. Very often the results you get from changing something is not at all what you would have expected, or even what makes any immediate sense.

I spoke to doug 3 days ago and at that time he recommended the 24 mm. He says the 22's were too steep and knifed under too much. I just got the 24 mm applied.

dumb question, but what is the stock offset on the 06? is it 24mm?

It's 25mm. as far as I know. I suppose I could measure it.

It's 25mm. as far as I know. I suppose I could measure it.

its 25mm

I spoke to doug 3 days ago and at that time he recommended the 24 mm. He says the 22's were too steep and knifed under too much. I just got the 24 mm applied.

Do you think the fact that that is the offset that applied makes had anything to do with Doug recommending them? I spoke to the RG3 guys and they said they tested both those offsets and 22's worked better and that is why they made them. I was concerned about headshake, but they said it was not a problem for MX'racing...Desert/GP's were another thing, but for MX the 22's were what the testers liked best...