HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bashn

Anyone have the MXA '06 suspension settings?

10 posts in this topic

Hey everybody! I just bought a new 2006 YZ450F SE. I've searched for and couldn't find any references to the MXA recommended suspension settings. I found a few recommendations, but they vary so wildly I don't know where to start. Here's what I have so far:

Fork Comp 14

Fork Rebound 8

Shock LSC 12

Shock HSC 2.0

Shock Rebound 8

Forks raised to mark

Race Sag 105mm

Also, just ordered a D755 front and D952 rear tire and the trick looking Works Connection radiator cages. I've been out to the track only once, but I can already tell this bike is a keeper!:devil:

The recommendations that I remember were:

Raise the bars 10mm

Raise the forks to the mark

Set the sag to 97mm

Compression and rebound will vary considerably with the specific soil conditions, track layout, and riding style.

The bike is very sensitive to head angle changes (sag and fork height), so it makes a surprising difference, especially at the front end.

Raising the bars...is the best fix for this bar risers or getting taller bars?

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other?

Taller bars are more mechanically sound than risers. The Reed/Henry bend is around 9-10mm taller, and the Windham/RM Mid bend is 14mm taller. My 6'2" son likes them a lot. On the '06, they're OK for me (I'm 5'10"), but I think that I would rather have the Henry bars.

I was going to try the RC bend until you mentioned the Henry/Reed. The Henry/Reed is 15mm taller than the RC and I'm 6'0". I like bars on the taller side. Anything wrong with ProTaper contours, or should I spend more and get EA-70 grade?

Thx,

C/R Front:

MXA 10/9 (average)

My (on hardpack) 11/8

My (on sand) 10/7

LSC/R/HSC Rear:

MXA 8/8 1- ¼ (sag 98mm)

My (on hardpack) 8/10 1-¼ (sag 98mm)

My (on sand) 7/5 1-¼ (sag 98mm)

Stock suspension (2006) , rider 90kg intermediate

The rebound adjusters on my '06 don't seem to do jack until I get about 5 or 6 turns out from full. It wants to pogo stick at every setting past 6.

The rebound adjusters on my '06 don't seem to do jack until I get about 5 or 6 turns out from full. It wants to pogo stick at every setting past 6.

Well that is because you are decreasing the rebound dampning each click out from full in, from H to S...that is what is supposed to happen

Well that is because you are decreasing the rebound dampning each click out from full in, from H to S...that is what is supposed to happen

I think you missed the point. We also found the forks to be under damped on the rebound. With the stock valving and spring, we had to run them at 4 clicks out to get them to slow down enough. Not good. The Shock was the same way but not quite as much. Our test conclusions were verified by a number of local riders and a suspension shop. Needless to say, they didn't stay that way very long. And before you ask, yes, we gave it ample time to break in. Three rides a week for 3 weeks is plenty.

I think you missed the point. We also found the forks to be under damped on the rebound. With the stock valving and spring, we had to run them at 4 clicks out to get them to slow down enough. Not good. The Shock was the same way but not quite as much. Our test conclusions were verified by a number of local riders and a suspension shop. Needless to say, they didn't stay that way very long. And before you ask, yes, we gave it ample time to break in. Three rides a week for 3 weeks is plenty.

I understand your point.....you don't like riding a pogo stick!

I also revalved mine also and swapped springs...:mad: