HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LumpyXR650L

XR650L downtube oil screen?

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I just did my first oil and filter change on my 2001 XR650L. Everything went fine except when I tried to remove the oil screen on the bottom of the downtube. It is the black nut/washer looking thing with threads on it that the oil line connects to at the bottom of the downtube right? It would not budge and I ended up stripping the heck out of it. The dreaded vise grips were also used. Any tips of how to remove this thing? Also where can I get another one if I ever get this one out? Thanks...Lumpy

instructions straight from the shop manual:

OIL STRAINER NUT

Remove the engine guard.

Loosen the oil inlet pipe flare nut and disconnect the pipe from oil strainer nut.

Remove the oil strainer nut from the frame downtube.

Clean the screen on the oil strainer nut in solvent and blow dry with compressed air.

Reinstall and tighten oil strainer nut. (40 ft/lb)

Connect the inlet pipe and tighten to (29 ft/lb)

dont they ALWAYS make it sound so easy. :thumbsdn:

well i dont know if this will help you at all, but always try to use the correct size wrench on all hardware, if something seems too tight you might want to get a set of 6 point wrenches or sockets to use. the increased surface contact they provide helps get those stubborn bolts loose without stripping.

oh yeah, a new one should be available at your local honda shop :devil:

Sorry for the partial hijack/duplicate post, but i thought this might be a good place to post this

2. Disconnect the main feed hose from the bottom of the frame. Remove the connector at the bottom of the frame. It has an oil screen built in to it. Make sure that is clean.

3. Re-install the connector with drain screen and re connect the oil hose. Put the plug back in the frame down tube.

Anyone care to elaborate on where exactly this is? I see 2 hoses that i think might be it. Is it the smaller one that is directly underneath the drain plug on the front/center portion of the engine?? If so, where is the screen? :devil:

What am i looking for? Just checking to make sure the screen is clean and there is no debris in there?

Thanks for helping with the questions, about my new bike! I am about to do my first oil change on my 650L and dont have my factory manual yet!

Thanks a bunch

I would not be too worried about the strainer on your first oil change, maybe the tenth, Yes it is directly below the the drain on the downtube the strainer is in the nut.

I would not be too worried about the strainer on your first oil change, maybe the tenth, Yes it is directly below the the drain on the downtube the strainer is in the nut.

Actually I would worry about it on the first oil change. On my 600 it always gets a lot of crud on it after I have opened the engine. The one I wouldn't worry about is the one inside the engine. While there is almost always crud on the downtube screen, I have almost never seen anything on the on inside the engine.

Cleonard, dont put crud in your engine, when you open it up and it wont get in the downtube screen.

I have worked on several new ones and have always thought the same, but after a half dozen new bikes with perfectly clean screens I believe it takes a while to build up say 4000 miles.

I used a flare nut wrench to remove mine. Yes, they are sometimes very hard to break loose. I would assume you will need the whole line replaced to repair the damage to the nut.

Cleonard, dont put crud in your engine, when you open it up and it wont get in the downtube screen.

I have worked on several new ones and have always thought the same, but after a half dozen new bikes with perfectly clean screens I believe it takes a while to build up say 4000 miles.

A couple of years ago I had to do major work. I split the cases replaced 6 gears in the tranny. I also put in a new clutch, rings, and had head work done. I was a "clean freak" with everything while it was apart. I think I spent more time cleaning than anything else. From what I could tell the "curd" consisted of metal bits and gasket material not other foreign material.

It's always amazed me that the crap collects in the screen. It never appears at the oil filter.

Hello,

Just to let everyone know. I used a sears craftsman bolt out and a foot long cheater bar along with some heat and it came right out. It appears this thing has never been checked by the previous owner. It had quite a bit of stuff on the screen. The bike has 8000 miles on it. If you ever have a stripped bolt these tools are amazing. Thanks...Lumpy