NEW DS Baja DEsigns kit for wr450

well i called down to bd today and asked for a ds kit. they asked what kind of bike and i replied with wr450 2005. they said bring it down we have a NEW kit that doesnt require a stator update. I cant wait to be the 1st guy on my block to have this. they are doing the install for free to test the kit out.

I dropped it off today (friday) on monday they will let me know when i get it back. he said it will have a bd front light, switches on the handlebar, they are doing led blinkers with a keyed switch and a horn and it still needs a yz fender. he didnt have specifics because the tech staff wasnt there to explain it all.

this is good news considering you normally have to do the stator update. i will take pix when i get it back next week. if any of you have specific ?'s i will ask mike (the sales guy i am working with) those ?'s.

Why bother with a baja designs kit for a wr450? You can't plate it in California. Even if the yahoo's at DMV give you a plate (they're government workers), the CARB will eventually send you a letter revoking the plate.

So why bother?

i guess. knowing govt bafoons it will take them at least a year to pry it away from me. in the meantime i get to ride all over the clevland nat forrest. for me that is more then work 400 bux and the hassale carb may or may not give me.

Why bother with a baja designs kit for a wr450? You can't plate it in California. Even if the yahoo's at DMV give you a plate (they're government workers), the CARB will eventually send you a letter revoking the plate.

So why bother?

I have only heard of one person having their plate taken back and it was because the wrong emissions box was checked.

I hooked up my Baja DS kit this way right from the start; left my headlight on AC, used my stock regulator and let the rest run off the battery; still use my e-start all the time and have never had battery issues; no high beam though; sounds like the new kit will definitely be an improvement!

I too was tempted to do it that way, but I went ahead and done the mod, no problems with charging or headlight if i can just keep signal light switches working i would be happy, Hope they updated the multifunction switch assembly also then.

i will take a bunch of pictures for everyone to compare. i hope they have resolved the issues that some people find to be troublesome.

I got my bike today and I have to say that BAJA DESIGNS is one of the most professional places you could deal with. Ben who did my install did a WONDERFUL job. I am quite impressed with their customer service. In my limited experience with MX repair places it has been challenging at best. BD made all my worries go away. I dropped the bike off on friday and picked it up today.

I then dashed over to my favorite DMV and got a street legal plate.

From what I understand the kit installed on my bike wont look any different. Except I upgraded and went all LED lighting and I added a key switch. GREAT UPGRADES on my part. The install is clean and professional.

Ben took me thru the differences however my brain went mush when he got into the technicals. Ben really knows his stuff. The coversation we had was well out of my league. So I have to say that asking me a bunch of technical questions about the kit might be futile. I like the way the kit looks and I will be testing it over the next month or so and reporting back to BD.

I would also have to say that without MIKE the sales guy none of this would of went as smoothly as it did. I saw the negative BD thread on TT and I must say that BD is top notch in my book. Some of you might of had challenges in the past however I must say that thread didnt represent my experience in the slightest bit.

Hats off to BD for doing a quality job and with excellent customer service.

bikes with electric start DON'T need kits!!!! esp the wrs! they come with dual filament head light and tail light stock!!!!!!!!

just buy:

-left hand bar switch {ktm exc}

-front signals {buel blast or 950 adventure}

-rear sigs {sport bike flush mounts}

- 2x pressure switches

-horn

wire it all off the AC other then the turn sigs and the horn.

leave the dc to primarily change the battery.

To make your WR platable, check with the DMV in the state in which you are going to plate it. Colorado is VERY easy to plate a bike. The only things that a stock WR needs (list does not include items that a stock WR has, such as brakes, headlight, etc.) here to be plated are:

1) Stop lamp.

2) Horn (a bicycle squeeze horn mounted to the bars is OK).

3) Mirror.

4) DOT tires approved for highway use.

I am looking to make mine a little more streetable by adding signals and a LOUD horn.

Simon - you said that the KTM EXC switches are good. Any reason you picked them? Is the wiring straight forward? What are the pressure switches you mentioned? Thanks.

after 3 hours of riding on saturday the kit seems to be holding up. i ran the lights on HIGH the whole time because i heard that was a problem in the last kit. i could be wrong.

i dumped the bike a few times and i must say the led upgrade is worth everydime. i didnt even scratch the side blinkers in the front or the back.

• 3 weeks later...
How is the new kit working for you? do the headlight work on high/low beam with just the key on, engine not running? how did they get around doing the mod?

had a new regulator installed. the yamaha one blew. the kit is nice and puts out lots of light. the headlights do not work unless the engine is running.

i dont know the complete details on how they did the mod.

Yeah, Ben from BD was telling me they are trying to track down why the stock yamaha untis failed. they don't want to have to do the stator mod, so they are running the headlight on AC same as factory does, only adding high/low beam from what I can read into it, to make it easier and cheaper to do the kit, keeping it competative. I hope they figure it all out or their reputation will be going down.